Former professor pleads guilty to child molestation

Walter Lee Williams, a former USC professor, pleaded guilty on Friday to charges of sexually assaulting at least seven underage boys while in the Philippines.

Williams, 65, taught for approximately 20 years at USC until he quit in 2011. He was placed on the FBI’s Most Wanted List in June 2013 and was arrested later that month. Prosecutors allege that Williams used the pretext of research to travel to the Philippines and make contact with his victims.

In exchange for Williams’ plea, prosecutors recommended a maximum sentence of five years imprisonment, as well as fines paid to his seven victims.

Williams taught in USC’s General Education program and specialized in history, anthropology and gender studies. He was the recipient of a Fulbright Award and a USC General Education Outstanding Teacher Award in 2006.

The ex-professor reportedly made sexual advances toward two Filipino boys over a webcam in 2010, then traveled to the Philippines in 2011. During his time abroad, he assaulted the two boys, aged 14 and 13, and another victim who was 15.

During his time in the Philippines, Williams made contact with at least three other boys, the Los Angeles Times reports. Prosecutors speculate that Williams, who made several trips to the South Pacific during his career, had at least 10 victims.