Trojans helped by strong recruiting

This was a much-needed bye week for the Trojans, a chance to regroup. Not just from the devastating loss to the Boston College Eagles, but from a whirlwind first month of the college football season. The debut season for coach Steve Sarkisian and Co. has been chaotic to say the least.

From fake stories of heroism to allegations of racism, USC was under the microscope before they even kicked off against Fresno State. Couple that with a tremendous victory against the Bulldogs and a triumphant upset of the Stanford Cardinal and emotions have been running high for the Trojans. The disappointing showing against BC just continued the roller coaster ride that has been the Trojans 2014 season.

Now after the proverbial initial storm has passed, the team and fans alike have a chance to take a breath and reflect on the short season that has been and the upcoming Pac-12 schedule.

Sure, there are still some unanswered questions at this point. Namely, will an infuriatingly conservative offense continue to be the norm this season? Or will the team come out against Oregon State firing like offensive coordinator Clay Helton had them playing against Fresno State?

There are other issues regarding the Trojans’ thin defense that are also up in the air. There is, however, a lot we do know at this point in the season, things that foreshadow a very bright future. Redshirt junior quarterback Cody Kessler has taken the next step in his development. Fellow junior wide receiver Nelson Agholor has emerged as the most dependable third down target at USC since Robert Woods in his sophomore season. Junior defensive end Leonard Williams and sophomore safety Su’a Cravens have more than justified their prodigious preseason praise, wreaking havoc on opponents.

More than anything else though, the future is rosy because of an unbelievable freshman class. When the sanctions limiting scholarships were handed down a few years back, some Trojan fans posited that the penalties weren’t, in fact, crippling. This optimistic, but ultimately naïve, opinion was based on the premise that the Trojans would have to run their program like an NFL organization.

NFL teams only carry 53-man rosters, and at its lowest point USC would be down near that number of scholarship players. All this meant was that USC couldn’t miss often in recruiting. Unfortunately, over the last four years, the Trojans have missed out spectacularly when it comes to recruiting.

Each year, the Trojans have brought in a nationally ranked class, yet the results have been tepid at best. Sure, there are the bright spots, like the aforementioned players above, as well as steals like redshirt running back Javorius “Buck” Allen and former defensive end Morgan Breslin. For the most part, however, past USC recruiting classes have failed to live up to expectations.

Whether this is a lack of player development, the revolving door of position coaches or poor talent evaluation when the players were in high school is anyone’s best guess. The fact remains that highly touted recruiting classes have floundered overall.

That seems to have changed this year. Three games in, and the freshmen for the Trojans are making an undeniable impact. The crown jewel of the class, wide receiver/defensive back Adoree’ Jackson, might actually be better than advertised.

Jackson already is the best cover corner in the secondary. His return skills are so feared that teams are already kicking away from him. Not to mention the fact that though he has touched the ball sparingly on offense, he is a threat to score every time he gets his gloves on the pigskin.

He is just the tip of the iceberg. Wide receiver/defensive back JuJu Smith is a physical phenom with the potential to go down as the best Trojan receiver ever. His rare mix of speed and power combined with a penchant for elusive moves is truly remarkable. Wideout Ajene Harris was a revelation in camp in the slot, and once he learns all the receiver positions, I think he will be the steal of this recruiting class.

The offensive line is really where the Trojans have found success. A much maligned position group over the past few years, the influx of young talent has been impressive, the Boston College game notwithstanding. At just under 400 pounds, the speed at which guard Damien Mama executes pull blocks has to strike fear in the hearts of defenses up and down the coast. Toa Lobendahn has already cemented himself as a fixture at right guard, and guard Viane Talamaivao almost ran step-for-step with the receivers when Allen scored on his screen pass last week.

There are others who have already made an impact, like tight end Bryce Dixon, and I’m sure more players will develop along the way. USC’s trio of highly touted cornerbacks is sure to produce one stalwart to play opposite Jackson over the next few years.

Regardless of whether every player in the 2014 class makes an impact, the Trojans already have the foundation for the future. Top-tier talent is what dynasties are built on. With a couple more classes like this, USC will be well on its way.

Jake Davidson is a sophomore majoring in accounting. His column, “Davidson’s Direction,” runs Mondays.