Trojans welcome Morgan Andrews from rival Irish

The Women of Troy welcomed highly regarded midfielder Morgan Andrews from long-time rival Notre Dame this past Thursday.

After playing her freshman and sophomore seasons with the Fighting Irish and leading the team in scoring both years, Andrews will have have two years of eligibility remaining with USC.

The addition of Andrews is a huge pick-up for second-year head coach Keidane McAlphine, who is ecstatic about the acquisition of Andrews.

“We are excited to get such an extremely talented player to add to our roster,” McAlphine said. “Through this process, I have been equally as impressed with her as a person. This is a win for the Trojans, but also a win for the   Pac-12.”

In 2014, Andrews started all 22 games for Notre Dame and led the team in points for the second consecutive season after netting six goals to go with five assists on her way to a second-team All-ACC selection.

This stellar performance comes after her standout freshman season when she tallied a team-high 19 points, catapulting her to be named to multiple all-freshman teams and the ACC Freshman of the Year.

She also played a key role in propelling the Irish to a third-round NCAA Tournament appearance.

McAlphine is likely hoping that Andrews can help do the same at USC after the Women of Troy fell in the first round of last year’s tournament to Pepperdine in heartbreaking fashion, losing in penalty kicks.

Andrews also brings years of U.S. national team experience, having played with U.S. soccer since she was just 14 years old. She was a notable member of the the American squad that won the CONCACAF U-20 Championship.

The two-time Gatorade National High School Player of the Year should prove to be a tremendous asset on the field for a team that is looking to build on its success from last year.

After holding a 12-6-3 record during the regular season in McAlphine’s first year as head coach in 2014, USC clinched its first tournament appearance since 2010 and the program is hoping to reach even greater heights in its 2015 campaign.