Women’s golf looks to take first place

After two days of play, the     No. 6-ranked USC women’s golf team looks to improve its place at the Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge in Palos Verdes, California. The Women of Troy sit at third place, behind only Baylor, as they enter the final day of competition. This is the first event for the Women of Troy since they tied for fifth place in the Pac-12 Preview in Hawaii.

For the first event of the team’s spring schedule, the Women of Troy tied for third after the opening round of the match.

Freshman Amy Lee debuted for the Women of Troy with a 3-under 68 to tie for first. Lee graduated a semester early from Brea Olinda High in Brea, California. Lee joins a team that is predominantly comprised of veteran golfers. She is the       fifth-ranked golfer in the class of 2015, according to the Junior Golf Scoreboard. Her many golfing accolades include representing the West in the Wyndham Cup in 2012, 2013 and 2014 and helping America win the 2014 Jr. Ryder Cup.

On her collegiate golfing debut, Lee started off strong, going even on the front nine. On the back nine, Lee notched in three-straight birdies on the 14th, 15th and 16th holes putting her 3-under to secure her tie for first. If Lee continues to perform at this level, she will quickly become an asset to the team’s success on the course.

Absent from USC’s lineup were senior Doris Chen and junior Annie Park. Chen is a three-time All American and won the 2014 individual title. In the fall, Chen earned three top-11 finishes, even tying for second in the Stanford Intercollegiate. Park is one of the best golfers in USC history. She is a two-time All American and she is tied for the most wins in school history with five. Despite the absence of the veterans, the Women of Troy still finished 3-over 287 on the first round of play.

Along with Lee, the Women of Troy were led by junior Kyung Kim — two-time winner in the fall —tied for 13th with 1-over 72 as a two-birdie day and sophomore Gabriella Then tied for 18th with a 2-over 73 day.

For the rest of the Women of Troy, sophomore Karen Chung tied for 28th with 74 and sophomore Elizabeth Doty opened at 79 and tied for 75th.

Junior Victoria Morgan — playing individually — tied for 43rd with 5-over 76.

Other teams in the tournament consist of Baylor, in first place with 3-under 281 and No. 28 Arizona State, in second place with 1-over 285.

On the second day of the tournament, the Women of Troy improved on their play and finished second with an 8-over 292. Baylor still clinches the top spot after a 5-over 289. Arizona State is just behind the Women of Troy after a 15-over 299.

Lee finished a 1-over 72, but is now tied for third (golfers from UCLA and Baylor are tied for first). Kim jumped up three spots and is now tied for 10th with a 1-over 72. Then dropped three spots after golfing a 3-over 74 and Chung jumped four spots to 24th with a 3-over 74. Both Doty and Morgan are tied for 61st; Doty — with the team’s largest jump — moved up 14 spots with a 4-over 75 and Morgan fell 18 spots with a 7-over 78.

Heading into the final day of play, the Women of Troy look to build upon their performance from the first and second rounds of play. The Women of Troy will have to focus on their drives if they want to catch Baylor and take over first place on the third day of play.

The Women of Troy will look to start their final day of play determined from the first hole.