Playlist: This could be us, but you playing

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

If there is one thing I’m good at, it’s being melodramatic. Partaking in musical melancholy is a passion of mine. I shamelessly stare out of windows while sad songs play and pretend that I’m in music videos or standing in the rain during tragic scenes in movies. I plead the fifth on whether or not Natalie Imbruglia’s ‘Torn’ is one of my 25 top most played songs on iTunes.

I find catharsis in sad songs and counterintuitively start to feel happier after listening to them than I do after playing something more cheerful, and evidently I’m not alone. In fact, a survey of more than 770 people conducted by researchers at the Freie Universitat Berlin in Germany revealed that sad music can create a thoughtful and harmonious state of mind for the listener, facilitating contemplation and reflection – both necessary if you ever hope to overcome an emotional rut.

So I hope you consider this playlist Planet Fitness, home of the judgment-free vibes® that can be listened to while scrolling through Tumblr or dry sobbing into your pillow – that’s your own business.

The eclectic range of tracks, from a Miley Cyrus power ballad to the wompy synthesizers of Gallant’s ‘Weight in Gold,’ has been selected in an effort to ensure there is a song for everyone.

1. Blackbear – Idfc (Tarro Remix)

2. Miley Cyrus – Drive

3. NoMBe – Miss Mirage

4. Chet Faker feat. Banks – 1998

5. Chet Faker feat. SAINT WKND – Lover

6. Sky Ferreira – 24 Hours

7. Action Bronson feat. Chance The Rapper – Baby Blue (Prod. Mark Ronson)

8. kiiara – Gold (Hippie Sabotage Remix)

9. jordynleib – Crazy (Jeftuz Remix)

10. Calvin Harris & Disciples – How Deep Is Your Love (Chris Lake Remix)

11. Jaymes Young – Habits Of My Heart (Sufjan Stevens Remake)

12. Major Lazer Feat. Wild Belle – Be Together (Vanic Remix)

13. Gallant – Weight In Gold (Ta-ku Remix)