Trojans’ hoops is not yet complete

Last week, the Trojans men’s basketball team vaulted into the top 25, becoming nationally ranked for the first time in more than half a decade. With almost two-thirds of the season, the Trojans have shocked everyone, myself included, with their rapid improvement in head coach Andy Enfield’s third season.  Wins over Arizona and UCLA helped demonstrate the talent and potential of this year’s squad, but the recent losses to Oregon and Oregon State reminded all of the Trojan faithful that USC basketball is still not a finished product.

As I wrote earlier in the season, I thought this year could yield 18 wins for USC, which would be tremendous progress for Enfield. I thought the Trojans would win all but two or three of their non-conference games, which they did, but the play in the Pac 12 is what has been incredible surprising. At best, I felt USC would be in the middle of the pack, winning 9-10 conference games and just falling short of a tournament bid.

While a late season skid could still doom the Trojans and hurt their chances of a tournament bid — especially if losses like their defeat at Oregon State pile up — this season has solidified Enfield’s plan and vision for the team. Anything that happens beyond 18 wins should be considered a welcome surprise for the Trojan faithful, especially considering the sometimes unwatchable product we have been subjected to over the last four or five years.

The loss to Oregon was a reality check, as the Ducks are a very formidable opponent, and USC is not on the level yet where they can consistently beat good teams on the road. The fact that they are .500 on the road is a testament to the improvement in the program as a whole. Hopefully they can continue with this trend and end 5-4 or even 6-3 on the road.

USC is not yet where they need to be in order to be a perennial powerhouse in the Pac 12. They are young and relatively inexperienced, which is not Enfield’s fault in the least. They simply need to play more games and bulk up in the weight room. There are little things that they can improve: like beating a half-court trap more effectively or fronting the post, but those things take time to develop.

Chimezie Metu and Bennie Boatwright have more than exceeded the expectations set for them entering their freshman campaigns, and the refined shots of Elijah Stewart and Jordan McLaughlin point to a program that is actually developing players, a rare commodity in college sports these days. All four of these players are local, which validates Enfield’s assessment that USC will rise or fall on the backs of Southern California talent.

A rational fan can only be positive about the trajectory of the Trojan basketball program. Enfield may not have the in-game ability to execute Xs and Os like Coach K or Tom Izzo, but he doesn’t need to be the shrewdest tactician to win games at the college level. If he can continue to recruit his type of guys — long forwards who can shoot and rangy big men — USC will be a force to be reckoned with.

Additionally, every player who is watching Slam City wants to come to USC. They look like they are enjoying themselves when they step onto the floor, which isn’t always the case at other schools. Additionally, USC isn’t getting top five recruits, which might be the model for sustained success in college basketball.

Having guys in college for at least two years and for most of the Trojans three or four will allow the team to gel and coalesce, giving them a major advantage over a bunch of freshmen who are looking forward to the NBA instead of focusing on the present.

The team isn’t perfect, and probably never will be. Football will always be the top dog in this town, but having a top 25 program would be a tremendous addition to the Trojan athletic universe. Enfield is smart, capable and young. He is still developing as a coach and a recruiter and his plan seems to be working. It’s hard to stop a team with four guys who have a legitimate chance of knocking down a 3-point shot. That is what teams like Arizona and UCLA with ballyhooed recruits are finding out in short order.

USC still needs to figure out how to better hold onto leads, and they haven’t really proven they can come from behind on a consistent basis. However, much like players getting stronger and learning to play better post and perimeter defense, it is a process — one I now believe Coach Enfield is more than equipped to steward.

Jake Davidson is a junior majoring in accounting. His column, “Davidson’s Direction,” runs Mondays.