Learning to enjoy the ride

This past weekend, I had the privilege of running in the 2016 Los Angeles Marathon and after months of rigorous training and preparation, I’m happy to say that I successfully completed the 26.2 mile trek. There are only few feelings that measure up to crossing that finish line after running a race that stretches from Dodger Stadium in Chavez Ravine all the way to the Santa Monica Pier.

The sweetest part of it all, though, was not the finish line. Rather, it was the journey getting there. As German aviator Dieter F. Uchtdorf famously said, so often we become so focused on the finish line that we fail to enjoy the journey. While the finish can be rewarding, the journey and everything you learn along the way is unrivaled.

But it took me nearly 10 miles into the race until I realized how lucky I was to be running alongside 25,000 or so other individuals from diverse backgrounds. Some ran, some walked and others were racing to qualify for a separate marathon, but even while almost everyone was running for different reasons, all shared one common goal: to cross that finish line at some point in time.

Throngs of supporters lined the entire route with signs of encouragement, while thousands of volunteers handed out fluids, snacks and high fives throughout the duration of the race. So many different people played a tremendous role in making sure I had an unforgettable experience and I’m thankful for that.

I’m glad that I decided to live in the moment and take everything in during my first marathon. It was ever so gratifying, however, to take a look back at the extended journey that led up to it — one that began back in August when my training partner and I decided to take on a bucket list item after running just a couple miles on a trail by the beach.

Over a four-plus month training period that commenced back in early October, those two or three miles along the coast turned into weekly 10-milers around campus, 15-plus mile runs along the boardwalk in Santa Monica and Venice Beach and a number of long-distance strolls in the both the Midwest and Pacific Northwest.

If there’s something I learned looking back, it’s that one can train their mind to do just about anything, anywhere, anytime so long as they’re committed to some sort of means to an end. For a lot of athletes, though, it’s easy to get caught up in always looking ahead to that end goal and forget about what was right in front of us at a specific point in time. It’s a seemingly never-ending trend that extends beyond the finish line.

Now that I’m pretty sore and I’ve achieved the milestone I set out to accomplish, I can’t stop thinking to myself: now what? After countless hours of preparation, conditioning and recovery, it’s nearly impossible for me to just sit around, bask in glory and call it a day. I truly believe that it’s the natural tendency of all athletes to always be thinking, “on to the next one.” This is why the concept of enjoying the journey is a lot easier said than done. It is vital, however, that we at least acknowledge the pathway to our eventual success in whatever it may be in life, aside from athletics — that’s a major key.

The journey is something beautiful, foiled by the blood, sweat and tears that were present throughout my training. Crossing that finish line is a culmination of the fruits of your labor, but it’s always important to remember what got you there: who, what, where, why and how? The answers to those five basic questions served as my compass throughout the arduous process and provided me purpose, as they do for many other athletes competing regularly in their respective sports.

At times, especially in a world full of distractions, it was tough to not only endure but enjoy the pain and adversity en route to the finish line, but I’ve discovered that it’s this sense of passion and persistence that builds character. Having dealt with these emotions, I feel like I’m mentally stronger. I’m just hoping that I will take more time to relish in the process because I’m just getting started.

Darian Nourian is a senior majoring in print and digital journalism. His column, “Persian Persuasion,” runs Thursdays.