Pok Pok LA offers Thai food in Chinatown

Los Angeles’ Thai Town is home to hundreds of local establishments serving tom yums and pad thais. However, one of the most authentic Thai meals you can get is not located in Thai Town. Located within the quiet end of LA’s Chinatown, Pok Pok LA is a gem for those seeking to experience vibrancy and the spice of Southeast Asian culture.

Pok Pok LA traces its roots to the original Portland establishment founded by chef Andy Ricker. After expanding from Portland to New York, Pok Pok earned a Michelin star and received widespread acclaim for its gourmet Thai dishes. Despite the fact that Ricker is not of Thai descent, the culinary veteran has traveled to Southeast Asia extensively over the years, learning new recipes and techniques from natives.

Located in the Mandarin Plaza on N. Broadway, Pok Pok LA strives to create a relaxing environment where people can experience authentic cuisine. With year-round Christmas lights, vintage Thai banners and kitschy floral-patterned tablecloths, the restaurant successfully imitates what an actual restaurant would look like in Thailand. The servers offer their recommendations to patrons while explaining every possible aspect of the dish. From the origins of the fish sauce to the technique in which pandan leaves are marinated in the water served, the servers are especially knowledgeable about the dishes on the menu and provide amazing service for restaurant-goers.

The menu itself is unique because each dish is accompanied by a statement of where its origins are derived. By doing so, Pok Pok LA hopes to emphasize its authenticity to restaurant patrons who may question the validity and style of the dishes. It is guaranteed that Pok Pok LA is one of the best locations for not only tasty, but also gourmet specialities from Northern and Northeastern Thailand. The items on the menu are divided into shareable appetizers, single entrées and shared entrées with sides. On the back are a variety of drink options, ranging from beers to Thai-style limeade.

The signature item on the menu happens to not be Thai: Ike’s Vietnamese fish sauce wings are arguably some of the best wings in Los Angeles. With wings from establishments like KyoChon pailing in comparison, the fish sauce wings are unlike any other chicken wings. Ike’s wings are marinated and tossed in caramelized fish sauce from Vietnam’s Phu Quoc Islands, renowned for its expertise in fish sauce production. There was an excellent balance between the sweet and savory, and the dish paired especially well with a cold Tsingtao beer. Ike’s fish sauce wings are, as many people say, “finger-lickin’ good.”

The next dish was khao soi, a mild curry noodle soup made with house-pressed coconut milk. Served with either chicken or vegetables, the dish contains egg and crispy fried noodles along with shallots, picked mustard greens and special roasted chili paste. The khao soi was a perfectly executed dish; the mildness of the spice complemented the creaminess and consistency of the broth. The coconut milk did not overwhelm the flavor of the broth, and the crispy noodles added a unique texture to the noodle dish.

The final dish was a shareable entrée called kaeng hang leh. Served in a clay pot, the braised pork belly and shoulder were marinated in a special Chiang Mai specialty curry with ginger, palm sugar, turmeric, tamarind, Burmese curry powder (phong masala) and pickled garlic. The server noted that the phong masala was imported from a special vendor in Chiang Mai, Thailand. The braised pork belly went well with a portion of sticky rice. The sauce was sweet but also had a distinctive savory taste that was reminiscent of other Asian minced-pork dishes. The kaeng hang leh, however, was the weakest item that was ordered in terms of flavor complexity and technique.

For dessert, the Pok Pok Affogato is a customer favorite. The house-made condensed milk ice cream was drenched in a shot of Vietnamese black coffee and paired with crispy Thai crullers. The consistency of the ice cream was particularly rich and creamy, while the Thai crullers went surprisingly well with the melted ice cream and coffee shot.

Pok Pok LA has earned its reputation as one of the most authentic restaurants serving Thai cuisine. Despite being on the more expensive side, the restaurant has continuously brought in waves of new customers and five-star reviews. Pok Pok LA is undeniably a restaurant to try in Los Angeles in the near future.