The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is truly a magical experience

Seldom does real magic appear off the page or screen; typically, it is the imagination that transports minds into far-off places. However, patrons will soon have an opportunity to encounter a magical experience in real life. This Thursday, the highly anticipated Wizarding World of Harry Potter will open  at Universal Studios Hollywood.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is an endeavor that is more than five years in the making. The Daily Trojan had an opportunity to take a tour of the park led by Alan Gilmore, supervising art director for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter and art director for the Harry Potter films.

Upon entry to the park, patrons have the opportunity to take a picture on the Hogwarts Express, complete with scarves, wands and the option of three scenic backgrounds to choose from. Those deeply familiar with the films will notice that almost every aspect of the park is identical to the Harry Potter movies — that’s because the park was designed by the same set designers.

“Everything in the park is made to look aged and distressed,” Gilmore said regarding the park’s aesthetics. “We paid very close attention to detail.”

Fans of Harry Potter will also notice familiar shops present within Hogsmeade Village and Diagon Alley. Patrons have access to the same shops made popular in the series, such as Zonko’s Joke Shop, Honeydukes Sweets Shop and Ollivander’s Wand Shop.

Perhaps one of the most intriguing aspects of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is the interactive elements present throughout the park. Guests who purchase a wand from Ollivander’s have the option of purchasing an interactive wand, which will allow them to practice actual spells at various magical checkpoints.

“A special medallion, encrypted with the spell incantation, will be featured beneath each magical window for guests to practice their spells, and if done correctly, will come to life before their very eyes,” the official press release states.

Additionally, the Owl Post, located right next to the Owlery (where mechanical owls sit perched above beams), serves as a real post office where guests can write postcards and letters to anywhere in the world, and can have

them postmarked in  Hogsmeade.

The park’s signature ride, “Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey,” is located inside the Hogwarts tower. Designed as a “3D-HD adventure,” according to the press release, the attraction is a 360-degree adventure which takes patrons on a simulated magical journey throughout Hogwarts and other locations popular in the Harry Potter universe.

As far as eateries, the Three Broomsticks is the park’s main restaurant, serving a variety of traditional English meals including bangers and mash (grilled sausages with mashed potatoes and peas), Shepherd’s Pie (ground beef and vegetables topped with mashed potatoes), beef and lamb Guinness stew and fish and chips.  Adjoining the Three Broomsticks is the Hog’s Head Bar, which features draught beers created specifically for the park. In addition, Butterbeer carts are stationed throughout the park for a refreshing, non-alcoholic treat.

The park officially opens on April 7. Discounted student tickets may be obtained through the USC Ticket Office in the Gwynn Wilson Student Union Building. Guests are also encouraged to use the hashtag #WizardingWorldHollywood during their visit.