QB battle to stretch into fall

Two days after USC’s annual spring game scrimmage, head coach Clay Helton announced on Monday afternoon that the battle for the quarterback position will continue into fall camp.

“There were a number of open positions on our team this spring where players performed very well, including the quarterbacks,” Helton said. “I met with them today and told them that, based on how well they played, I have decided to continue the quarterback competition into fall camp.  I will wait until then to name a starter.”

As it stands, the two players who have the biggest change of earning the starting role are redshirt junior Max Browne and redshirt freshman Sam Darnold. Redshirt sophomore Jalen Greene and freshman Matt Fink will both be in the mix as well.

On Saturday, however, Browne and Darnold were the featured passers with Browne completing 7-of-11 for 114 yards and three touchdowns, and Darnold throwing for 6-of-7 for 63 yards and two touchdowns.

After last Thursday’s practice, Helton said he misspoke about potentially naming a starter after the spring game on Saturday.

Although Browne and Darnold offer skill and talent at the QB position, it has been Browne who has earned a reputation for his maturity, composure and accuracy this spring. Darnold, a dual-threat, possesses rare speed and quickness with his feet to combine with a big arm and field awareness.

Darnold said he isn’t focusing too much about the competition, emphasizing personal improvement this spring.

“I definitely took the mentality of being the guy out here as you’ve got to do when you’re going to compete for the starting job,” Darnold said last week. “I’m still taking tips from Browne and letting him help me as well.”

With the spring game in the books, Browne remains the leader of the quarterback competition. However, with a time to develop in the summer and fall camps, Darnold could easily become the front-runner if he can complete passes with accuracy.