USC welcomes back Arts Week with exciting events

This week marks USC’s third annual Arts Week, a series of events where students can come together and embrace the innovative arts around them. Arts Week is will showcase the best of student and professional talent everyday this week. Each day will feature a different event, asking the quintessential question, “how do you ARTiculate?” Along with this, check out other installations such as collaborative murals at the Popup Art Garden: ARTiculate Creativity in Alumni Park.

“Arts Week was created to celebrate the diverse types of arts on campus and how art is used to articulate feelings, thoughts and emotions,” said Carrie Zhang, assistant director of USC Performing Arts Committee. “The central theme is to ‘ARTiculate.’”

So far, the festival has brought great success. Monday kicked off Arts Week with free food, music, art installations and live art in Alumni Park. Tuesday brought the Artist Network Mixer, where USC alumni and students were able to network while watching the best USC artists perform. If anyone was unable to make these creative events, there’s still three more left to look forward to.

On Wednesday at noon, the Performing Arts Committee, Environmental Student Assembly and Concerts Committee will collaborate with with the USC Farmers Market for a solar-powered “It’s Lit Noontime Show” in McCarthy Quad. Indie band Trapdoor Social will perform live music with audio equipment powered by on-site batteries that get their energy from solar panels.

Thursday’s signature event will display killer dance moves with the dance competition USC’s Best Dance Crew: ARTiculate Movement at 7 p.m. in Bovard Auditorium. In addition, there will be a special finale performance and VIP Meet and Greet by Quest Crew, winners of the TV show America’s Best Dance Crew.

Friday’s last event will be in collaboration with Performing Arts Committee, the USC Poetry Slam Team and USC Speakers Committee. “Slam Poetry: ARTiculate Words” will showcase poems at Ground Zero Performance Café starting from 8 p.m. to 9:30 pm. Listen to USC poets show off their spoken word pieces while enjoying a free milkshake. A special guest poet will also make an appearance.

More information regarding Arts Week can be found online.