Fox’s Rocky gives a bumpy reentry into The Time Warp

As Halloween approaches, Fox is set to release the highly anticipated reboot of The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Lets Do The Time Warp Again. With people getting in the holiday spirit, the new version of the 1975 cult classic is sure to draw a significant amount of new viewers in addition to the notoriously enthusiastic long term fans. However, those that have seen the original film may not necessarily be impressed by the latest made-for-television musical.

Perhaps in the name of purism, Fox chose to stick closely to the original plot line. The film follows newly engaged sweethearts Janet (Victoria Justice) and Brad (Ryan McCartan) and their accidental meeting with Dr. Frank-N-Furter (Laverne Cox).

The flirtatious and sexually ambiguous doctor informs them that they have arrived just in time for the unveiling of the “the perfect male specimen,” created to fulfill Frank’s desires. Chaos, jealousy and lust inevitably ensue creating the dynamic drama the made the original film a niche hit.

While the vibrant remake is not necessarily innovative, it does have a refreshing modern appeal, to the credit of director Kenny Ortega of High School Musical fame. His upgrades in choreography and costume are apparent throughout the film. For example, one of Dr. Frank-N-Furter’s groupies Columbia’s famous tap shoes are replaced by glittery Doc Martens, a nod to the recent millennial trend.

Additionally, Ortega chose to pay homage to the midnight showing crowds that made transformed the film into a form of interactive entertainment.

The film utilizes self-conscious framing too by cutting to an old movie theatre during pivotal scenes where the audience is dressed in costume and even adding dialogue in reaction. Although, the thought is clever these transitions are often distracting and unnecessary.

Despite this, audience members will find satisfaction in seeing the incredible collection of actors featured. Emmy-nominated actress Laverne Cox demonstrates incredible stamina and dramatic range in the role of Dr. Frank-N-Furter.

As an African American, transgender actress in a part once played by a straight white man, her performance is a testament to the sexual politics illuminated in the musical. However, other than this, the film does not maintain its original shock factor and appears sanitized to conform with network standards.

The studio also had the foresight to cast former Nickelodeon teen star Justice as Janet Weiss. Justice’s own public image of innocence made her character’s on-screen sexual awakening all the more believable. The actress brought a girlish flair to Susan Sarandon’s lusty “Touch-a-Touch-a-Touch Me,” proving her ability to transform into more sophisticated roles.

Another pivotal casting decision to make Tim Curry, the original Dr. Frank-N-Furter, the narrator shows the star’s blessing of the remake. However, many critics feel his approval is unwarranted. 

Re-entry into the time warp has proved to be bumpier than anticipated for Fox in light of these less-than-stellar reviews. Yet, the film is still a fun, Halloween special that is sure to appeal younger audiences wanting to see what The Rocky Horror craze is all about.