Women’s basketball lands two top guard recruits

The women’s basketball head coach Cynthia Cooper-Dykes announced that the Trojans had two top-20 ranked guards sign letters of intent for the 2017 season. Both Shalexxus Aaron and Destiny Littleton hail from California and are ready to join USC in order to create legacies of their own.

“We paved a way,” Cooper-Dyke said. “Now it’s time for them to put their own bricks down that path.”

Shalexxus Aaron, ranked as the 16th best guard in the nation according to ESPN, is a 6-foot-1 guard from Martin Luther King High School in Riverside. Aaron has been proving herself on the court as the league MVP her freshman year.

“Shalexxus is an athletic perimeter prospect with length, wingspan and a versatile skill set,” Cooper-Dyke said. “She is a great fit for our style of play and adds to our size and length on the perimeter. Shalexxus can deliver in transition, finish at the rim, has 3-point range and is active on the glass.” 

Along with Aaron, Littleton will also be joining the team in 2017 as a 5-foot-9 guard from The Bishop’s School in La Jolla. On top of winning CIF awards for Freshmen, Sophomore and Junior of the Year, she is currently 905 points shy of passing the California state scoring record, with her senior season  still to go.

“Destiny is a strong, crafty combo guard who really can score the ball,” Cooper-Dyke said. “She is physical, delivers off the bounce, has a quick release on her jumper, and can handle and pass in a fast game.”

Both of these guards are key additions to the Women of Troy, especially since senior guard Jordan Adams graduates in the spring. These players are examples of the constant growth that the women’s basketball team is striving for in order to be a top program in the Pac-12 and the NCAA.