Galen Center to air USC-Ohio State game in 3-D

Having trouble figuring out how to get to Columbus, Ohio for USC vs. Ohio State? Well worry no longer, as ESPN gears up to bring USC students stuck in Los Angeles the closest thing to being at the “Horseshoe” without traveling 2,000 miles from campus.

On Sept. 12, ESPN will premieres its long awaited 3-D football viewing experience at the Galen Center for the broadcast of the important game after more than two years of testing. The broadcast will feature cinema projection, large-scale arena viewing and LCD monitors to make the viewing audience at the Galen Center feel like it’s watching the game live.

Enhanced dimensions · Last year’s USC-Ohio State game offered plenty of hard hits and big plays, but this year’s will be shown in 3-D. - Leah Thompson | Daily Trojan

ESPN will set up seven 3-D cameras in Columbus to capture the entire playing field and relay the separate feed to the Galen Center, along with other locations in Ohio, Connecticut and Texas. ESPN will also provide a separate team to call the game, with Mark Jones and Bob Davie to walk the audience through the first-ever 3-D broadcast of a college football game.

ESPN hopes this will serve as a instrument to measure not only how well the 3-D technology works, but also how fans react to the new broadcast style.

Tickets for the event will be free and are available from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at both Heritage Hall and the USC Ticket Center. Tickets will also be available at the USC football scrimmage at the Coliseum Aug. 29, at the first home game against San Jose State on Sept. 5 and at the Galen Center box office during two women’s volleyball games, Sept. 3 and 4.