Grant Green signs with the Athletics

Former USC standout shortstop Grant Green is moving on to the next stage in his career after signing a contract with the Oakland Athletics.

The 21-year-old, selected 13th overall by the A’s in June, agreed to a deal that includes a $2.75 million signing bonus. Green reported for Arizona Fall League play Tuesday.

Big bucks · Former shortstop Grant Green’s three years with USC earned him a big signing day with Oakland. - Amaresh Sundaram Kuppuswamy | Daily Trojan

“It’s a good fit through and through,” Green said by phone Wednesday. “Me and my family, Scott Boras, my agent, we’re all extremely stoked about it and glad that it’s all over.”

Green hit a team-leading .374 last season for the Trojans. In his three-year career at USC, he hit .359 with 15 homers, 102 RBI and a school record-setting 20 triples.

At one point in February, he was projected by Baseball America to be picked as high as second overall after a summer at the Cape Cod Baseball League, in which he was named the most outstanding pro prospect. When his numbers slipped to start off the season, Green’s stock declined, but the A’s told him he was their top choice at shortstop all along.

The A’s are reputed around the league to have a keen eye when it comes to the draft. Billy Beane, Oakland’s general manager, was the primary subject of a New York Times best-seller, Moneyball, that took a behind-the-scenes look at the team’s 2002 draft.

“It was an honor to be picked by them,” Green said. “A lot of the guys that they’ve drafted throughout the years have gone on to be real good major leaguers, and it’s just an honor to be seen by the A’s organization as the top guy at that spot.”

Green said he and Boras agreed to terms with the Athletics’ brass “about 30 seconds” before the 9 p.m. deadline on Aug. 17.

Major League Baseball recommends that the 13th overall selection get $1.66 million. Brett Wallace, the 13th pick in 2008, signed for $1.84 million.

“It’s a fair deal,” Green said. “We were still over slot, which is what we wanted, and they knew that.”

Another former USC standout, right-handed pitcher Brad Boxberger, signed on deadline day with the Cincinnati Reds for $857,000. Boxberger had been drafted 43rd overall.

Catcher/pitcher Robert Stock, who shined in the second half of last season as a starting pitcher for the Trojans, has been playing catcher in the St. Louis Cardinals organization since agreeing to a deal in June.

Three other players from last year’s roster signed with MLB organizations: second baseman/catcher Hector Rabago, left-hander Anthony Vasquez and right-hander Daniel Cooper. Rabago went to the New York Yankees while Vasquez and Cooper both signed with the Seattle Mariners.