Jennifer Song should be fully rested for Stanford Invitational

The No. 1 USC women’s golf team goes north this week looking to continue an excellent start to the fall season.

After opening with a victory at the Mason Rudolph Championship in September, the Women of Troy look to earn their second consecutive victory at the three-day Stanford Intercollegiate at the Stanford Golf Course in Palo Alto, Calif.

Leading the team this weekend is sophomore Jennifer Song, who is looking for her second career victory after capturing the individual title at the Mason Rudolph. Song, a returning first-team All-American, is hoping to capitalize on her recent success with another victory this week.

“I was trying to strengthen myself physically because I was getting worn out from competing all summer,” Song said, referring to the three-week layoff since her last match.

She looks to use the Stanford tournament as another step in achieving her goal of averaging under 70 for the season. Her scoring average thus far is 66.

Making her season debut for the Women of Troy is senior Belen Mozo, returning from summer shoulder surgery.

The three-time All-American “had some pain during the spring…when we went to Nationals,” coach Andrea Gaston said. “The doctor felt surgery was going to be the best way to get her through.”

Joining the All-Americans are senior Caroline Kim, sophomore Inah Park and freshman Cyna Rodriguez. Kim, in her second season as a regular contributor for the team, tied for 30th in her season debut, and plans to improve on her 38th place finish at last season’s Stanford Intercollegiate.

Park, also in her second season as a regular contributor, tied for 30th with Kim at the Mason Rudolph, and tied for 72nd at the Stanford Intercollegiate last season in the start of her Trojan career. Rodriguez made her Trojan debut at the Mason Rudolph, tying for 40th. All of them are competing for a permanent roster spot this year, and seek to take advantage of the opportunity presented by the absence of All-American junior Lizette Salas and senior Stephanie Endstrasser.

The Women of Troy jumped to the No. 1 spot after their win at the Mason Rudolph. The Stanford Intercollegiate features No. 2 UCLA, No. 3 Arizona State, No. 7 California and four other top-25 teams. Still, the added pressure of the top ranking isn’t getting to the team.

“I just think about the game I’ll be playing and play it one shot at a time,” Song said. “I don’t really think about being number one.”