Panhellenic, IFC prepare for presidential elections

As the semester winds down, members of the Panhellenic and Intrafraternity councils have begun preparing for their upcoming election season,

The Panhellenic Council Thursday announced the presidential and executive vice presidential candidates for its elections, which will be held on Nov. 23.

Laura Redfern, current vice president of communications for Panhellenic, and Hilary Veit, vice president of recruitment, are slated to be next year’s president and executive vice president candidates.

The council annually conducts an application and interview process for students interested in the 12 open positions for the 2010 calendar year, and then “slates” or unofficially chooses candidates to fill the various posts.

On election night, which will take place this year at the Delta Delta Delta sorority house, the slated candidates will deliver speeches about their plans for the upcoming year.

Applicants who were not slated will also have the opportunity to challenge a slated candidate for the position. Delegates from each sorority chapter and the sitting Panhellenic board members will then elect the new board members.

“Every year the board has just gotten stronger,” said Blessing Waung, president of Panhellenic. “The true legacy that you can leave behind on an organization is just seeing how the new board can take over from where we left off.”

Waung said she hoped the new council would continue the current administration’s focus on service, through events like the All-Greek Service Day, as well as work with the university to improve safety.

The Interfraternity Council, meanwhile, will hold elections for its new board members on Dec. 2.

IFC is currently looking for candidates who are focused on progress and moving forward with the university’s goal of producing well-rounded students, said Gabe Worgaftik, vice president of public relations.

“Right now you’ll see that the university and the Greek system are kind of at a crossroads … So we want to make sure the people who are on IFC are truly being leaders in the Greek community,” Worgaftik said.