Trojans travel to Texas hoping to reduce mistakes

As part of the Big 12/Pac-10 Hardwood Series, the USC men’s basketball team will travel to the University of Texas’ Erwin Center tomorrow to play the No. 2 Longhorns for the first time since their matchup in the second round of the 2007 NCAA Tournament.

More than two seasons ago, the Trojans dashed the hopes of a young Longhorn team that featured National Player of the Year Kevin Durant by knocking off Texas 87-68 behind junior guard Nick Young’s 22 points and seven rebounds, which sent the Trojans to the Sweet 16.

Road trip · Guard Donte Smith gets his first road start Friday. - Ian Elston | Daily Trojan

Now, more than 30 months later, the Longhorns (5-0) will welcome a much different Trojans squad (2-2) to the Erwin Center, where the Longhorns haven’t lost a game since February.

The Trojans are coming off their first matchup as a part of the now three-year-old Big 12/Pac-10 series in which they were unable to secure a victory against Nebraska after Cornhusker freshman Eshaunte Jones hit a game-winning corner for three points with 11.7 seconds left to give Nebraska a 51-48 victory.

USC’s 17 turnovers and 11 missed free throws contributed to a Trojan offensive attack, whose missed opportunities equally contributed to the loss against Nebraska.

“If we knock the free throws down, or commit less turnovers, we would probably win by 10,” redshirt junior point guard Donte Smith said.

Redshirt junior forward Alex Stephenson, who made his season debut during the Trojan’s 74-43 win against Coppin State over the weekend, was a bright spot for the Trojans against the Cornhuskers. Stephenson contributed 13 points and three blocks and will be integral in the game plan against a physical Longhorn team.

A senior tandem of senior center Dexter Pittman and senior guard Damion James have combined for more than 30 points per game in the Longhorn’s first five games of the season, and will be key matchups for the inexperienced Trojan team.

Also weighing on the mind of USC coach Kevin O’Neill is his team’s lack of starting experience on the road.

“We have a bunch of guys who have never started a game on the road, let alone play as far away as Texas,” O’Neill said. “But hopefully, by Pac-10 time, this trip will grow us up a little bit.”