Love and reflection fill Four Tet’s new album

Electronic music of late has tended toward one of two extremes. On one end is music marked by a strong indie-rock influence, where synthesizers and computers are used to add layers to post-punk songs with droning vocals. On the other are the high-tempo, turned-up-to-11 songs that one hears at night clubs, the strain of techno in which each new song tries to outdo the previous one in terms of loudness and percussive ferocity.

This unfolds · Electronic musician Kieran Hebden releases his fifth solo album under the moniker Four Tet. There is Love in You is out now. - Photo courtesy of Domino Recording Co.

Separate and distinct from this polarizing trend is Kieran Hebden. Created under the moniker of Four Tet, Hebden’s albums have been a collection of complex melodies that go against the mainstream sounds. His latest LP, There is Love in You, is an impressive set of emotional, introspective songs. Each track has an immersive nature, feeling both haunting and powerfully moving. With its reflective nature and unique approach to electronic music, the album is easily one of the best the genre has to offer.

There is Love in You feels in many ways like ambient music. It is quiet and never overpowering, without exploding drums or a thumping bass. Yet there is a level of complexity to the songs evocative of jazz music — if jazz was played using electronic musical instruments.

The songs are powerful and deep but without the intensity of a techno rave. “Plastic People,” easily the album’s most boisterous tune, feels most like a traditional dance song, but more serious undertones add depth and keep it from feeling too much like a pop song.

The album’s title isn’t just for show. Thematically, love and romance permeate the songs. The opening track, “Angel Echoes,” sets a strong tone. Featuring some of the album’s rare vocal drops, the mix of chorale vocals and chiming percussion gives the song a fragile, tender nature. The second track, “Love Cry,” is a nine-minute-long powerhouse with multiple layers of vocals and rhythms tied together by a catchy drum beat. “This Unfolds” is slower, but lends itself to an intimate, calm feeling.

Some tracks have a clear world music influence. “Sing” feels like something out of the Middle East even though its driving sound is a synthesizer. “Circling” brings to mind Mediterranean electronica, with subdued chants and an Iberian feel to the melody.

The album is in no way dark or depressing, but each song has a somber nature that evokes a quintessentially introspective tone. Despite its initial haunting chimes, however, the closing track “She Just Likes to Fight” ends the album on a hopeful note with an undercutting melody that brings to mind fresh starts, as if the album’s intimate exploration gives way to a brighter future.

It’s hard to pick a favorite from the bunch. Many techno songs run the risk of sounding too similar. Yet unlike his dance club-brethren, Four Tet makes each song distinct. All of the tracks share the same quiet nature but carry their own flavor. “This Unfolds” is wholly different from “She Just Likes to Fight,” for instance, but both work in their own distinct way.

There is Love in You isn’t a collection of remixes or some experimental album. Rather, it is a new effort from an artist confident in his own skills and tastes. There is Love in You is one of the best electronic albums in the past year and definitely one of the most unique. Intimate, haunting and highly immersive, Hebden’s latest release is incredibly powerful and perfect for sitting back and reflecting on life.