L.A. County urges residents to enroll in alert system

Los Angeles County has implemented an emergency alert system and is encouraging all local business and residents to enroll.

The County’s Emergency Operations Center uses the system, called Alert LA County, to alert residences and businesses of information concerning emergencies and necessary actions to be taken in the event one occurs, such as evacuations.

Using the 911 database, Alert LA County is able to reach all landlines in the county. These lines have already been registered into the system’s database, and no action is needed from those wishing to register their landlines.

In case of emergency, the system, which is TTY/TDD compatible, would call each line with an automated message. If the call is not answered, and the system is asked to leave a voice message, it will do so. If a line is busy or otherwise unreachable, the system will keep redialing the number.

Officials are urging residents to register their cell phone numbers, voice over IP (VOIP) numbers, and email addresses with the system. In case of emergency, Alert LA County will contact registrants with phone messages, text messages and email as an insurance against a potentially unreachable landline.

Joe Segura  of the Long Beach Press-Telegram reported that due to heavy rain between January 18-22, officials activated the system 34 times.  Alerts reached as many as 513 people, and as few as 34.

Los Angeles County states that all information provided will not be shared, and will be used solely for emergency contact. Registration for Alert LA County is located at http://alert.lacounty.gov/