Weekend Picks

thursday, february 11

Downtown Art Walk
Noon – 9 p.m. > Various
Locations > FREE

Everything is conveniently planned for you to enjoy Los Angeles’ Downtown Art Walk: the free artwalk DASH shuttle, a participating venue right here on Grand Avenue and free museum admission for three hours. There’s no legitimate reason not to appreciate Angelenos’ art!

Sky Train: Tibetan Women on the Edge of History
7 p.m. > Book Soup > FREE

Stimulate your mind by visiting both a popular bookstore on Sunset Boulevard (celebrity sighting, anyone?) and a book signing about the women of Tibet. What other event caters to feminists, different cultures and paparazzi?

Editors and The Antlers
7 p.m. > The Wiltern > $22.50-$25

The British indie rockers Editors pair up with Brooklyn group The Antlers at the famed venue on the corner of Western Avenue and Wilshire Boulevard to bring their explosive live sets to Los Angeles on one stop of their spring tour. Both bands are coming off 2009 releases.

MFA Writing Visiting Artist: Richard Nash
11 a.m. > CalArts > FREE

CalArts will host a publishing workshop by independent publisher Richard Nash, who was linked to Soft Skull Press and Counterpoint. Both companies published a variety of literary genres, stemming from fiction and poetry to memoir.

friday, february 12

Abraham Lincoln’s Big Gay Valentine Bash: A Benefit for Highways
8:30 p.m. > Highways Performance Space > $25

If romantic dates or single-awareness parties are too cliché for you this Valentine’s Day weekend, honor who is claimed to be “America’s first gay president” in this two-night event hosted by Ian MacKinnon.

Weekend Series: Tightrope
9:35 p.m. > LACMA > $7

LACMA has now started playing older nocturnal thrillers, and this Friday they focus on Clint Eastwood in Tightrope. Even if Dirty Harry-esque movies may not be your thing, where else can you see a movie for $7?

The Female of the Species
8 p.m. > Geffen Playhouse > $80-85

This comedic portrayal of a feminist author’s retreat disturbed by a series of humorous characters features Academy Award-nominated actress Annette Benning and David Arquette. The show runs through March 14 and runs 95 minutes with no intermission.

My Sister, My Spouse: The Song of Songs in the Convents
7:30 p.m. > UUC > FREE

The female vocal ensemble Capella Artemisia will present the texts of the Canticum Canticorum, sensual texts that were put to music in the 17th century. The songs explore a bride and her beloved, tying closely to religious views of eternal marriage to Christ. The ensemble is traveling all the way from Bologna, Italy to perform at USC.

saturday, february 13

Hiccup: Loveless
9 p.m. > Hyperion Tavern > FREE

A monthly reading series featured in a real live “tavern”, Hiccup provides another outlet for the bitter and cynical this Valentine’s Day. Saturday, set to the soundtrack of music by My Bloody Valentine, this brings out the spoken word in tales of love and loss.

Divas Las Vegas
2 p.m. > Book Soup > FREE

In a quirky Hangover-esque twist, Book Soup highlights Divas Las Vegas by Rob Rosen, a light beach read about a trip to Vegas with a group of gay best friends. The “trip to Vegas” theme has been explored over and over again; it’s up to you to determine if this latest rendition matches up to the rest.

G. Love & Special Sauce
8 p.m. > House of Blues Sunset Strip > $20

The alternative hip-hop band from Philadelphia make a stop in West Hollywood to give the southland a taste of its unique blend of blues and R&B. The group is perhaps best known for its eponymous album released in 1994. Its latest release, Superhero Brother, came out in 2008.

The Album Leaf
8 p.m. > El Rey Theater > $17

The Album Leaf, now celebrating its tenth year as a band, will be taking the stage at the historic El Rey Theatre with string accompaniment. The background will be supplied from a four-piece called Magik*Magik string quartet and will be one of a few stops on the tour to feature such orchestral accompaniment.

sunday, february 14

Late Renoir and the Eternal Feminine
2 p.m. > LACMA > FREE

If Roski students’ art isn’t enough for you, explore your artsy side at LACMA’s tribute to Renoir. Listen to a UCI professor discuss French Impressionism and soak in some associated culture for free.

Justin Bieber
6 p.m. > Hollywood Palladium > $35.50

It’s OK, you can admit it. We all sing along to Justin Bieber’s “Baby” in the privacy of our shower. But why not sing along with this charming 15-year-old pop phenomenon at the Hollywood Palladium on Sunset Boulevard?

Thornton Wind Ensemble
4 p.m. > Bovard Auditorium > FREE

The Thornton Wind Ensemble will perform music by David Dzubay (Fanfare for Ray and Shadow Dance) and Michael Daugherty (Red Cape Tango). Music by faculty members Frank Tichelli (Angels in the Architecture) and Bob Mintzer (Go) will also be featured. The ensemble performs music written for winds, brass and percussion.

Fisher King
2:30 p.m. > Scene Dock Theatre > USC Students $5

Graduating MFA Acting students perform famed American playwright Don Nigro’s show about Arthurian legends resurrected in the Civil War era. The play earned Don Nigro a Playwriting Fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts. The show runs through March 7.

—Tanvi Mirani and Michael Juliani