USC Vice President appointed to Department of Education post

USC Vice President Emeritus Carolyn Webb de Macías was sworn in as Chief of Staff in the Office of Elementary and Secondary Education with the U.S. Department of Education on February 1.

In her new position, Webb de Macías will focus on policy and management issues affecting K-12 schools, serving under the Assistant Secretary for Elementary and Secondary Education. Her department is focused on the quality of education received by students in elementary and secondary schools across the United States.

Prior to coming to USC, Webb de Macías worked for then-Los Angeles City Councilman Mark Ridley-Thomas, serving as chief policy advisor on the councilman’s legislative agenda. She took a took a partial sabbatical from USC to work with the City of Los Angeles as a senior adviser to Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa during the 2005-06 academic year.

Webb de Macias has a long history of interest in public education –– she is a founding member of the new Partnership of Los Angeles Schools Board, and was recently appointed to the Los Angeles Advisory Board for the Alliance for Regional Collaboration to Heighten Educational Success.

Webb de Macías also served as vice president for external relations at USC from 2002 to 2008, overseeing government and community relations, and federal- and state-funded educational and economic-development programs.