Weekend Picks

thursday, february 18

Divine Demons: Wrathful Deities of Buddhist Art
Noon — 6 p.m. > Norton Simon Museum > $8

For students seeking to enrich their understanding of world religions or explore their individual cultural backgrounds, this L.A. museum provides an ideal opportunity by featuring an exhibit with fang-bearing, demonic Buddhas in sharp contrast to the stereotypically happy ones usually seen.

Collection: MOCA’s First 30 Years
11 a.m. > MOCA > FREE after 5 p.m.

If you missed the first 30 years of MOCA’s exhibits, fear not. The curators have consolidated a comprehensive history of nearly 6,000 works since it opened its doors in 1940 to re-educate us about the historical period.

New Muslim Cool
5 p.m. > ASC 207 > FREE

The Center for Religion and Civic Culture brings Emmy-winning filmmaker Jennifer Maytorena Taylor to discuss her film New Muslim Cool. The production discusses the struggles of Puerto Rican Muslim hip-hop artist Hamza Pérez as he deals with the struggles of post-9/11 America.

friday, february 19

The Ulysses Guide to the Los Angeles River
Noon > Pasadena Museum of California Art > $7

For those of us that associate the Los Angeles River with a few dried-up puddles, this showcase examining those puddles from both a zoological and artistic perspective should strengthen our appreciation for this natural setting.

Breach of Peace: Photographs of Freedom Riders by Eric Etheridge
Noon — 5 p.m. > Skirball Cultural Center > $10

The Freedom Riders, who were arrested and convicted while challenging state segregation laws in Mississippi, are honored here with contemporary portraits as well as their original mug shots.

Enrique Castillo performs the poetry of Bill Lansford
7:30 p.m. > Beyond Baroque > FREE

Enrique Castillo has worked with prominent members of the film industry for many years, as he has held a number of lead roles on stage and founded the Latino Theater Company. He will perform the poetry of Bill Lansford, a World War II and Korean War veteran who has written hundreds of primetime TV episodes and 10 theatrical and television movies.

saturday, february 20

10th Annual Brazilian Carnaval
8 p.m. > Nokia Live > $38 — $65

Couldn’t make it out to Rio de Janiero this year? Chose to skip the USC version of Carnaval? Experience a full-fledged 21st century Brazilian Carnaval and even attend organized samba classes ahead of time to fit in with the crowd.

2010 Cupcake Challenge
Noon > The Renaissance Hollywood Hotel > $40

More than 20 bakeries from across Southern California compete in different categories such as best traditional cupcake and best original cupcake, but only one goes home with the distinction of best overall cupcake. Meanwhile, attendees determine their own favorites by sampling numerous mini-cupcakes.

Tinariwen
8 p.m. > UCLA’s Royce Hall > $24 — $48

Sub-Saharan rockers Tinariwen will bring its lush, unique and highly unpredictable sonic stylings to a rare show Saturday night. The group’s sound and dynamic are both highly mutable, shifting with the addition of each new member in the multi-generational group. The nomadic rock group will be performing one of its first shows since its Coachella appearance last year.

sunday, february 21

Cause for Creativity Workshop: Drawing Attention
1 p.m. — 4 p.m. > Santa Monica Museum of Art > FREE

In an event sponsored by Flip Video and HBO (probably the reason for YouTube videos as the chosen medium of art), artists are encouraged to channel their creativity toward making a difference.

Venice Rocks presents Sunday Funday
10 p.m. > The Garter Lounge > FREE

Every Sunday, Venice Rocks celebrates lineups that include everything from punk and fun to resident DJs and dancers. If punk/metal is your thing, stop by around 10 p.m. or show up early at 6 p.m. for happy hour.

Shakespeare Unscripted
7 p.m. > Theatre Asylum > $20

The Impro Theatre’s shtick involves treating audiences to an improvised mock-epic in the style of famous literary figures including Jane Austen, Tennessee Williams, Stephen Sondheim and, of course, the Bard himself. Because each night’s show is dependent upon suggestions shouted to the performers, it’s impossible to say what any given night’s program will consist of.

—Tanvi Mirani, Louis Lucero II and Michael Juliani