USC looking to rebound

The No. 5 USC women’s golf team looks to recover from its worst outing in four months this week at the Bruin Wave Invitational at the Robinson Ranch Golf Club in Santa Clarita, Calif.

Last week, at the Wildcat Invitational in Tucson, Ariz., the Women of Troy finished in 12th place, and they are looking to put that poor performance behind them.

“It’s not a good thing that happened, but it’s better to happen earlier in the season” said junior Lizette Salas.  “We’re looking to start fresh.”

The whole team could use that fresh start, including sophomore Jennifer Song, the No. 1 collegiate golfer in the country.

Song enters this week coming off her worst finish of the season, a tie for 22nd, which included the worst round of her USC career, an 80.  It was the first time Song had finished in the 80’s as a Trojan, and the All-American looks to regain her momentum this week.

Senior Belen Mozo, going for her fourth All-American award this season, was the strongest of the Women of Troy last week, tying for 12th place overall.

Mozo appears to have completely recovered from the shoulder injury she sustained at the end of her junior season, and is ready to resume her place at the top of the leader board every week.  With one more round below 70,

Mozo will set a USC record for career sub-70 rounds, currently held by Mozo, Song, and former Trojan Irene Cho.

Salas, a two time All-American, is also recovering from her worst outing of the season, a tie for 53rd.  She feels prepared to bounce back this week.  “We worked really hard in the weight room and at practice, and we feel ready for real golf instead of cart golf” she said, noting that the golfers were allowed to use carts in Tucson.

Also heading to Santa Clarita are sophomore Inah Park and freshman Cyna Rodriguez.  Park’s tie for 57th last week was her season worst, just as Rodriguez had a season low with her tie for 84th.

The Women of Troy have their work cut out for them this week, as they enter the Invitational with no positive momentum.  They face tough competition that includes No. 1 Arizona State, who took home the title in Tucson, and No. 2 UCLA. Despite the short turnaround, the team feels confident heading into the first round.

“We’re definitely ready and we feel right,” Salas said.

The tournament runs Monday through Wednesday.