Weekend picks

thursday, march 11
Navigating the Film Festival World Seminar for Filmmakers
7:30 p.m. > Egyptian Theatre > $15

For budding filmmakers and future film critics, this informative seminar — intended as a precursor to future festivals like Sundance — provides practical skills and experiences to navigate the often-overwhelming world of film culture.

Just Imagine: A Tribute to John Lennon
8 p.m. > Platinum Live! Theater > $35 – $81

John Lennon impersenator Tim Piper covers Lennon’s hits and a large portion of the Beatles’ catalogue. Piper’s scruffy appearance gives the perfect illusion of the icon himself and the show is a chance to see him perform one last time.

Kelli Stanley: City of Dragons
7 p.m. > Book Soup > FREE

As part of Book Soup’s endless array of up and coming authors, Thursday night features writer Kelli Stanley. Her latest book captures San Francisco’s Chinatown on the eve of the Lunar New Year in 1940 and delves into a thrilling mystery featuring a tough female private investigator.

Slow Club
11 a.m. > Spaceland > $10

Come hear Charles Watson and Rebecca Taylor, who make up Slow Club, a folk-pop duo from Sheffield, England. Their debut album, Yeah So (out now on the Moshi Moshi label), features somber acoustic chords compiled with a witty and romantic exchange of lyrics between the two band members.

friday, march 12
Star Wars Burlesque
9 p.m. > Henry Fonda Theatre > $20

What started out as a mere YouTube video boasting more than 150,000 views has evolved into a full production on a much bigger stage in Hollywood. An encore performance following their sold-out one show in January, this burlesque will change your perspective on Darth Vader forever.

Holly Miranda
10 p.m. > Bootleg Theater > $10

The sultry-voiced songwriter from the band Jealous Girlfriends — who earned sonic placements on TV shows such as Grey’s Anatomy, The L Word and CSI: Miami — has produced a solo disc, The Magician’s Private Library, under her own name.

RAW’s First Birthday
7:30 p.m. > Hotel Angeleno > $10

Los Angeles’ RAW, a gathering of innovative artists, is celebrating its first anniversary by opening its multimedia lounge-filled doors with visual and performing artists, musicians, fashion designers and even stylists to establish an open network of overlapping specialties.

Picasso: All Mixed Up
6:30 p.m. > Norton Simon Museum > FREE

In honor of the museum’s portrait-centric exhibitions — both Rembrandt’s and Ingres’ are on display — the “Friday Night Family Art” series will provide all the tools to make a portrait collage inspired by the famous cubist artist.

saturday, march 13
E-40
9 p.m. > The Key Club > $25

Northern Californian rapper E-40 — who created the “izzle” and whose considerable body of work has made an impression on the last 20 years of rap — is performing at the Key Club with Eyedrop, Da Paranormal, Bellz, The Circuit and Precise.

High Points and Lows: Life, Faith, and Figuring It All Out
2 p.m. > Book Soup > FREE

Often labeled “the Christian guy” on 2006’s Survivor: Panama, Austin Carty steps away from the little screen to a not-so-little bookstore on Sunset Boulevard. His new book is filled with easy and entertaining anecdotes that will appeal to anyone regardless of religious belief.

Michael Kalish
8 p.m. > Artworks Gallery > FREE

Come check out Michael Kalish’s The Rose Collection, a series of mixed media sculptures forged from reclaimed metal, mostly from cars and trucks. You’ll witness the scars and surface distress that landed them in the salvage yard in the first place and the symbolic delicacy and natural beauty the wear gives the roses.

Love, Eric & Sanae: Seasonal Vegan Macrobiotic Cuisine
5 p.m. > Book Soup > FREE

Although this densely titled cookbook may appear to cater solely food lovers, vegan cuisine can provide a refreshing break for your palate. Authors Eric Lehasseur and Sanae Suzuki present in person their take on this nutritious and delicious food.

sunday, march 14
St. Patty’s Fest 2010
2 p.m. > Taglyan Complex > $50

For those looking to celebrate St. Patty’s Day this year, the Taglyan Complex on Vine Street in Hollywood is housing a festival featuring an all-you-can-eat-and-drink ticket with food from Pink’s Hot Dogs and entertainment rumored to include beer pong. If the lure of Irish beer isn’t enough, all proceeds go to benefit the Children’s Tumor Foundation and Irish Center.

Michael Cera presents Freebie and the Bean
8 p.m. > Silent Movie Theatre > $14

You noticed him in Juno, fell for him in Superbad, and stood by him in Youth in Revolt. Michael Cera, hailed as one of the funniest actors of his generation, has chosen action-comedy Freebie and the Bean as his film pick of the evening.

Official Twilight Convention
8 a.m. – 5 p.m. > The Marriott at Los Angeles International Airport > $25+

For vampire lovers who don’t mind the sunlight, the official Twilight convention will be bringing anything and everything related to the book and film franchise to the LAX Marriott.

Broken Bells
8 p.m. > The Troubadour > $25

An innovative pairing of psych-pop producer Danger Mouse and the Shins’ James Mercer calling it Broken Bells takes the stage at the famous West Hollywood venue Sunday night. If the Troubadour’s career-launching magic is still intact, the gig should send them to the top.

—Tanvi Mirani and Becca Lett