Enterprise now offering rentals to USC students

In case Zipcar, Zimride, USC shuttles and Metro Transportation Authority buses weren’t enough options, students looking to get away from campus can now pick up a car from campus through a new partnership with Enterprise Rent-A-Car.

The program, which launched earlier this month, offers students the chance to rent cars at discounted rates and allows them to pay a daily rate rather than an hourly rate. The program also offers a wide range of vehicles for students to choose from.

The partnership began when Enterprise’s car-sharing program, WeCar, was brought to the attention of USC Transportation. Since USC already had Zipcar as a car-sharing option, discussions with Enterprise turned to longer-term car rentals, an unoccupied niche at USC.

Enterprise and USC agreed to a two-year contract. USC receives no compensation for advertising and promoting Enterprise.

Tony Mazza, director of USC Transportation, said the program is not meant to compete directly with Zipcar, since the two programs differ in flexibility and duration of rentals.

“There are situations where an hourly rate is not a cost-effective option: for example, students wanting to plan a weekend trip,” Mazza said. “Additionally, we don’t have vans or trucks as our Zipcar vehicles. Students may need a minivan or a 15-passenger van for a group trip, or a truck for moving equipment or personal items.”

Zipcar charges an annual $35 membership fee for students and rents by the hour or day. The cheapest hourly rate is $8, while the cheapest daily rental is $66. The cost includes insurance, fuel and 180 driving miles.

Enterprise does not have such a membership fee and rents by the day, week or month. Its fleet contains a broader range of vehicles, including trucks, SUVs, minivans and luxury cars. The cheapest daily rental, which includes unlimited mileage but not fuel, is $44.99. Those 18-20 years of age can rent but must show proof of insurance, according to Mazza.

Mazza said he thinks the program will be successful because of its accessibility, ease of rental and the USC discount.

“Enterprise has a minimum age requirement of 18 with no additional fees, which differs from most car rental companies,” he said. “Enterprise [only] requires you have a valid driver’s license in any state or an international permit, which we think is a huge benefit for students. Our USC branch also offers special rates for faculty, staff and students when they present their USCard.”

Enterprise officials are also optimistic about the partnership.

“We’ve had a great response — rentals were particularly up during spring break,” said Lisa Martini, a public relations representative for Enterprise. “The cost-efficiency, the convenience, as well as the recognized relationship we have with so many of the students, faculty and alumni at USC make the on-campus rental branch a great opportunity — and partnership — for everyone.”

Some students, however, do not see Enterprise as an appealing method of transportation.

Kunal Bhan, a freshman majoring in biological sciences, said he does not believe Enterprise’s longer rental options are suited to college students.

“It’s cool with more places to rent cars from, but I think people will probably still stick with Zipcar, since it’s cheaper [for short periods of time] and easier,” Bhan said.

Other students said that it is good for students to have another option.

“Before it was only Zipcar. I guess this is good because you get to choose,” said Kent Kobayashi, a freshman majoring in mathematics. “Though personally, I wouldn’t use it because my friends [would] have cars.”

Some said they think the Enterprise program will be useful for longer trips.

“I think it’s a good idea because it’s a lot more affordable for people to rent at a flat [daily] rate,” said Kelsi Halverson, a freshman majoring in theatre (design). “If you need a car all day, it would cost more to rent hour by hour.”

Students can rent a car from the Enterprise campus office, which is located in Parking Structure X near the Transportation office. The office is open from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays and 9 a.m. to noon on Saturdays.