Tyler looking to kick off spring ball injury free

Despite initial reports that indicated USC’s redshirt junior tailback Marc Tyler would be unavailable for the start of spring practice, it now appears as if the redshirt junior running back will in fact be prepared to partake in spring drills this week despite undergoing toe surgery earlier this year.

According to Michael Lev of the Orange County Register, Tyler claims to be “90 percent” healed, and as a result, will do whatever is necessary to be on the field when practice kicks of this week. While USC has not issued an official statement clearing Tyler to practice, the running back appears more than ready to partake in team activities on Tuesday.

“I cleared myself,” Tyler told the media last Thursday. “I’m clear. … I feel good.”

A healthy Tyler would go a long way into shoring up some of the Trojans’ concerns at the running back position, particularly in the wake of the departure of 1000-yard rusher Joe McKnight, who declared for the NFL Draft in January.

His return would certainly help the junior make his case for more playing time in the fall.

In his only appearance on the field last season against San Jose State, Tyler ran for 72 yards on 5 carries (14.4 average) highlighted by a short touchdown run from off the bench.

Tyler came to USC as a 5-star recruit from Oaks Christian High School in Westlake Village, California where he scored 31 touchdowns, averaged 12.2 yards per carry, and was a USA and Parade All-American.