Keeping up with the Kardashian’s fame-mongering schedule

Today is 9/02/10 — so naturally, something cheesy and Beverly Hills-esque has to occur to celebrate the city’s infamous zip code. And who could be better to help trumpet something pointless than the Kardashians?

The city plans to give the Kardashian-Jenner clan the key to Beverly Hills tonight in an event at the Taste of Beverly Hills Wine and Food Festival, featuring performances by Natasha Bedingfield and Ne-Yo.

Giving away the key to a city is a strange practice that seems to flatter talented people with a big, fake key that doesn’t open anything. It’s confusing, then, that the Kardashians — whose wheelhouse includes selling things, prancing around and arguing on television — are being hailed by the little city synonymous with big name talent.

Sure, lawyer Robert Kardashian was a famous member of O.J. Simpson’s dream team, and daughter Kim made an appearance on Dancing With The Stars (and other videos now circulating around the Internet), but surely Beverly Hills isn’t pressed to honor these fine accomplishments.

Still, the Kardashian’s fame and popularity can’t really be ignored. And hey, Robert Kardashian is part of the Trojan family — which, in a way, makes us all Kardashians.

For more information about the Taste of Beverly Hills Wine and Food Festival, visit www.thetasteofbeverlyhills.com.