Women’s soccer to face first nationally ranked foe

After its return from a grueling trip to sweltering Texas, the USC women’s soccer team (1-1-1) hopes that its inspired play last weekend will carry over to the Fullerton Tournament this weekend. On Friday, the Women of Troy will play a 5 p.m. game against No. 18 UNC Greensboro (3-0-0). After a day off, they will return to the same pitch for an 11 a.m. clash with Purdue (2-1-1) on Sunday.

Stepping in · Senior forward Megan Ohai is expected to fill in for freshman center back Allie Harrison in the backfield this weekend. - Amaresh Kuppuswamy | Daily Trojan

According to Soccer America, No. 18 UNC Greensboro is the first nationally ranked team that the Women of Troy will compete against this season. Though early-season national rankings can be fickle, the Spartans still represent the Women of Troy’s toughest opponent on the young season. With victories against East Carolina and Utah, as well as a 2-1 upset over Wake Forest that launched it into the top 20, UNC Greensboro is off to the best start in its program’s history. Junior goalkeeper Kelsey Kearney has saved 14 of 15 shots launched at her, while sophomore forward Tabitha Padgett leads a diverse scoring attack with two goals.

No slouch itself, Purdue possesses a 2-1-1 record after tying Miami 1-1 and beating St. Bonaventure 4-1 last week. Junior midfielders Lauren Montenegro and Kellie Phillips and sophomore forward Marta Lynch are all players to watch in this match, as each has tallied two goals so far.

In regard and adjustments he plans to make for the Fullerton Tournament, coach Ali Khosroshahin said he had none.

“We don’t have any adjustments for this weekend, but we’re trying to get better at taking care of the ball. Playing a player down [in last week’s game against the Texas Longhorns] opened the players’ eyes a little bit. It showed them what they’re capable of.”

Although the team does not plan to make any tactical adjustments, Khosroshahin will have to alter his lineup to replace freshman center back Allie Harrison, who cannot play against UNC Greensboro after receiving a red card against Texas. Expected to replace Harrison in the backfield is senior forward Megan Ohai.

True to form thus far this season, Khosroshahin has not broken down scouting reports of opponents during practices. When asked for a scouting report on the two teams, Khosroshahin said he had one, but had not yet even glanced at it.

“We really don’t look at [scouting reports]. We just worry about ourselves,” Ohai said. “On the day before or on the day of the game, we’ll briefly go over that stuff.”

With strong performances this weekend, the Women of Troy, already recipients of votes for Soccer America’s top 20, can find themselves once again in the national contender discussion. A team that figures only to improve as the season progresses and as its young talent matures, USC women’s soccer faces a challenging schedule this weekend. This team, however, has proven so far that it will not let the title of “underdog” diminish its vigor.