Corp makes mediocre debut with Richmond

Former USC quarterback Aaron Crop made his debut for the Richmond Spiders over the weekend with mixed results.

A backup for USC quarterback Matt Barkley last year, Corp completed 18-of-32 passes for 183 yards and had one interception in Richmond’s 34-13 loss against Virginia Saturday. Corp also had a 32-yard run during a crucial drive in the fourth quarter in an attempt to bring Richmond back in the game.

Down 28-13 and starting on his own 10-yard line, Corp drove the team to the Virginia 29-yard line. But just when it seemed like he regained Richmond’s momentum, he gave it away when a deep pass was picked off on the goal line.

“It was a momentum killer,” Corp told The Collegian. “When I let it go, I thought there was some contact [on the receiver], but obviously that’s not my call.”

Despite that interception, first-year coach Latrell Scott channeled his inner Dennis Green in his praise of Corp.

“He’s what we thought he was,” Scott told the Richmond-Times Dispatch. “He’s savvy. He’s a leader. I think he made plays with his feet. He made good decisions.”

Corp’s former team plays Virginia this weekend, which means the Trojans will be watching tape of their former quarterback this week as they look to break down the Cavaliers’ defense.