New fall accessories key for when summer leaves

You no longer have to chant, “rain rain go away,” because with rain comes must-have fall accessories to keep up the cool California-style during times of mild temperatures, scattered rain and gloom.

“There are so many ways to be creative, warm and chic at the same time,” said Jasmine Saei, an undeclared sophomore.

To kick off this cooling season, invest in a beanie by Rag & Bone, Eugenia Kim or Free People to keep your luscious locks warm and tidy. Eugenia Kim has a wide selection of knit caps, the most popular ones being the Jill Slouchy Knit Cap and the Woomi Earflap Cap.

The Jill Slouchy Knit Cap is a cable-knit alpaca hat that comes in a dark grey and various other colors, perfectly appropriate for gloomy skies and a white fitted v-neck long-sleeved shirt.

The Woomi earflap cap is 100 percent wool and the ties on the sides of the hat are braided and end with pompoms. The hat comes in brown and white, both of which would look great with a pea coat and boots.

Although these caps are somewhat pricey at about $180, they are made with high-quality material and complement many upcoming fall fashions.

Instead of the traditional pashmina scarf that’s all fashion and no warmth, tubular scarves are a win-win choice. They keep your neck warm and cozy covered in layers and layers of fabric.

For a sophisticated look, check out Alice + Olivia’s Dip Dye Tubular Scarf or their grey sweater-type scarf. These two scarves can be converted into regular or tubular scarves depending on which fits better with your outfit. Both of these scarves are between $156 and $176, but the warmth they provide is worth the money spent. Or, to get more bang for your buck, H&M has a great scarf selection with prices as low as $14.95.

“I especially like scarves because they are not only useful and practical, like keeping you warm, but can also style an outfit and add color or pattern,” said Sarah Ramanuj, a sophomore majoring in English.

Anything below 60 degrees in Southern California will likely keep you curled up by the heater dreading your trek to class. Keep your face warm and put your ear muffs on. Although designer Eugenia Kim has some stylish ear muffs, you might want a milder look. Urban Outfitters’ has a great oversized flower earwarmer for just $28.

The earwarmer is knitted grey with a pop-out red rose surrounded by yellow leaves for a very chic and charming finishing touch to your outfit. It can double as both an earwarmer and a headband so a bad hair day can be hidden while your ears warm up.

Another item of interest is Urban Outfitters’ Wooden Ships Isadora turban, which comes in both gold and black knit and has an intertwined detail in the front. Urban Outfitters has a wide variety of other earwarmers, hats,and fedoras ranging from as low as $20 to $48.

Looking fresh for the winter doesn’t end with your clothes; it extends to other accessories, including umbrellas. Urban Outfitters, a great option for trendy umbrellas, has prices ranging from as low as $18 to $48. Its most popular umbrellas are clear bubble dome umbrellas with different colored trims.

Don’t let some measly raindrops stop you; throw on a raincoat, hike up your rain boots, pick up your new umbrella and hit the streets of Los Angeles.

Don’t forget about your hands — they need attention and warmth too. Shopbop.com has a wide variety of gloves, fingerless gloves, mittens and arm warmers to match any style. Bop Basics has Thick Knit Flip Top Mittens for $58 in many different colors and Cashmere Fingerless gloves for $65 in black and dark heather grey. This website has every designer, cheap and pricey, to aid your glove search.

Forever 21 also has an ample selection of leggings, stockings and tights that are patterned, embroidered and come in all different styles and forms. From black lace tights for $6.80 to opaque high knee socks for $3.80, you will get great prices and add an edge to your outfit.

For inspiring ideas of how to turn a boring winter outfit into a wintertime masterpiece, check out LOOKBOOK’s section on lfstores.com. Lf is a popular Southern California store known for its trendy picks and occasional sales. On its website, the store has pictures of many different outfits and ideas for looks that fashionistas can put together.