An analog Autumn

For those who have grown weary of organic guitar outfits like Phoenix and Vampire Weekend dominating the L.A. concert scene as of late, October shall bring the rains that Toto once cried for.

This gathering storm of electric talent will break on Thursday night, with the Francophile dream Ooh La La Festival bringing several spicy names to the El Rey. Headlining the bill is the weirdly loveable Sebastien Tellier, who will perform an acoustic set and hopefully bring the Serge Gainsbourg vibes that oozed from his 2008 LP, Sexuality. Testarossa Autodrive maker Kavinsky will provide support with a thumping DJ set somewhere between Daft Punk and Def Leppard.

Don’t even think of trying to recover the next day. Friday night will see Neon Indian showcasing its dizzying masterwork Psychic Chasms at The Fonda, an event anyone who has ever noodled around on a Juno-60 would be ill advised to pass up. For those still wanting more, the thunderous Vitalic will bring his psychedelic show to the El Rey on Saturday night, a rare U.S. stop to promote his latest album, Flashmob – fine competition for The Bloody Beetroots’ recent house-metal movement.

James Murphy will make a final stop in town on Oct. 15 at the Hollywood Bowl with fellow Pitchfork darlings Hot Chip. Anyone who caught these two juggernauts at Coachella will have some idea of what analog magic to expect, and those lucky, unknowing souls would best pack Gatorade and a towel for the end of what has been a great summer for dance music at the bowl.

Finally, the 2010 edition of Hard Haunted Mansion, a two-night event, will bring an impressive roster of names to The Shrine on Halloween. Notable grabs are French house grandfather Mr. Oizo and the aforementioned Beetroots — who will perform their new Death Crew 77 live show, but the roster belongs to Underworld, the U.K. duo that has crafted some of the most passionate, impacting dance music made since the late 1980s and remains of the most important names in the creation and evolution of the genre.

Those still not satisfied come Nov. 4 can look forward to the soothing, orchestral compositions of Ryuichi Sakamoto at the El Rey.