Tragedy revisited: Stafon Johnson’s struggle to succeed

It’s been exactly one year today since senior running back Stafon Johnson suffered life-threatening injuries when he lost grip of the 275-pound barbell he was lifting, causing it to drop directly onto his neck. Johnson had to undergo emergency surgery to repair injuries received to his neck and larynx.

Losing Johnson was a big hit to USC’s football program, as he had scored five touchdowns in the first four games, including the game-winning run versus Ohio State.

Though his season was ended prematurely, Johnson said he was happy to be alive, and his road to recovery has been a miraculous one.

Due to his “gladiator mentality,” as his doctor, Ryan F. Osbourne put it, Johnson was making phenomenal progress, and was already speaking again less than two months after surgery.

In his first public appearance since surgery, Johnson whispered to the press the last thing his late grandfather had said to him, “God has a plan. Run, Stafon. Run.” And that’s exactly what he did.

Though Johnson was not selected in the 2010 NFL draft, he signed a contract with the Tennessee Titans soon after. Sadly, Johnson’s courageous comeback was delayed.

In a preseason game against the Seattle Seahawks, Johnson severely dislocated his ankle after getting tackled, and is now expected to be out for eight to 12 weeks.

Johnson has proven his tenacity before, and his “gladiator mentality” will serve him well in yet another road to recovery.