Does the Coliseum still pack a punch?

Three years ago, the Stanford Cardinal stepped onto the field of Coliseum as a 41-point underdog and walked away victorious with a 24-23 win over the Trojans on a late touchdown strike.

On Saturday, the Washington Huskies — the same team that upset the Trojans last year in Seattle — also walked into the Trojans’ house and left them battered and bruised after a win thanks to another late score.

With three losses in their past five home games, the Trojans no longer seem formidable in their own home. Just a few years ago the Trojans were flying high with a 35-game home winning streak, embodying the reign of a USC football dynasty under then-head coach Pete Carroll.

The sudden regime change seemed to leave USC in a state of bewilderment. Even with an announced crowd of just more than 80,000, the Trojans could not rattle Washington kicker Eric Folk, who calmly silenced the crowd and sent the Trojan faithful home dazed and confused.

Now, many are doubting that the Coliseum is a source of intimidation or fear.

USC coach Lane Kiffin attributes this loss of intimidation to the type of play that the Trojans have recently been experiencing.

“I don’t think teams are intimidated playing us because we’re not playing very well,” Kiffin said. “The players haven’t played well enough to where guys are in fear of playing them.”