Women of Troy sweep Oregon schools at home

The USC women’s volleyball team began a four-game stint at home this weekend with two convincing wins over conference foes Oregon and Oregon State.

The No. 8 Women of Troy took on the Oregon State Beavers at the Galen Center Saturday night as the second part of their weekend matchup against the Pac-10’s Oregon schools.

USC swept the Beavers in three sets, 26-24, 25-20, 25-16, utilizing its wide arsenal of scorers including junior All-American outside hitter Alex Jupiter who racked up a match-high 16 kills on the night and freshman middle blocker Alexis Olgard who recorded eight kills with three blocks.

Junior setter Kendall Bateman, who was coming off a stellar performance against Oregon the night before, posted 41 assists for the Women of Troy, while sophomore outside hitter Katie Fuller managed nine kills and six digs on the night.

USC hosted the No. 16 Oregon Ducks the night before and managed to come away with a victory after five hard-fought sets, 25-21, 25-20, 24-26, 23-25, 15-10.

Though the Women of Troy were outplayed in the service department, with Oregon’s seven aces overpowering USC’s one lone ace and nine service errors, USC held on and managed to beat the ranked Ducks and move that much closer to Pac-10 supremacy.

Jupiter led USC with 10 digs and 20 kills, two of which came at very key moments during the final set. Kendall Bateman kept things moving for USC and picked up a career-high 71 assists against the Ducks.

Junior middle blocker Lauren Williams had one of her most impressive games of the season thus far, as she contributed a season-high 17 kills and hit .640 in Friday’s match.

The Women of Troy continue their Pac-10 home stand next weekend with matches against Washington State on Friday (Oct. 29) at 7 p.m. and Washington on Saturday (Oct. 30) at 3 p.m.