Indie rock singer croons to help others with cancer

Summer 2005 should have been a triumphant time in the life of then-23-year-old Andrew McMahon. Taking a break from the mounting success of his high school band Something Corporate, he had just wrapped up the finishing touches of Everything In Transit, the debut album from his side project, Jack’s Mannequin.

But instead of celebrating, he spent the next few months in a New York hospital facing the harsh reality that he might not even live to see the record be released.

McMahon was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia, a form of cancer of the white blood cells. Despite the unfortunate news, he made it a top priority to remain positive.

Dear Jack · Jack’s Mannequin frontman Andrew McMahon was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in his mid-20s. - Photo courtesy of Fresh and Clean Media

“In a strange twist of fate, I actually started playing music after watching a family member lose his struggle with melanoma,” McMahon said. “His lesson to all of us as he was fading was that even in light of tragedies that happen to everyone at some point, the only way to get through it is to be calm.”

After radiation treatment, two rounds of chemotherapy and a successful stem cell transplant, McMahon was able to overcome the disease. In an effort to provide a voice for others facing a similar struggle, he released video footage of his treatment and recovery in the form of a documentary film, Dear Jack.

Even for McMahon, who is known for his boldly personal lyrics, sharing such a raw narrative with the public was nerve-wracking.

“With a song, you can veil yourself a little bit and you can find a way to say something very honest but not necessarily give your whole life away with it,” McMahon said. “In the context of the film, that was the first time that people really ever saw who I am in a private space. It was the most I’ve ever felt exposed.”

In July 2006 McMahon created the Dear Jack Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to raising funds for young adult cancer patients. McMahon explained that a big part of his recovery process was realizing he could take control of the disease by helping others fight it.

“If you talk to anybody who has seen the disease, whether it be having it or seeing someone who has it, something just clicks in you immediately that you need to do something to make it better for the next in line,” McMahon said.

The Dear Jack Foundation partnered with groups such as the UCLA stem cell transplant program, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and the Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation to research treatment and improve the quality of life for patients. Sponsoring events such as an annual “Light the Night” walk and setting up booths at concerts, the foundation has consistently raised upwards of $50,000 per year since its creation.

The next big event for the Dear Jack Foundation is its first benefit concert on Nov. 1, in which McMahon will perform with both Something Corporate and Jack’s Mannequin.

“I look at this as a great environment to put both bands onstage,” McMahon said. “In a lot of ways, these guys saw me through my experience with cancer and now that I’m celebrating five years in remission and feeling great, having everybody play together makes sense.”

Delighted fans and supporters of the cause jumped at the chance to attend this one-night-only show in the intimate setting of Los Angeles’ El Rey Theatre, as tickets sold out within hours of the announcement of the concert. Because there is so much interest in it, McMahon has high hopes for making the concert an annual function.

The concert will feature many ways for attendees to donate to the cause, including merchandise tables and a raffle. Even those who will not be at the show can get involved by participating in the Dear Jack Foundation online auction, held at eBay.com.

Items up for bid include one-of-a-kind Something Corporate and Jack’s Mannequin merchandise, autographed vinyl records, Nike shoes exclusively designed by McMahon and VIP passes to the sold out Dear Jack Foundation benefit concert.

“Our goal is to make this a night where we can raise a lot of money for the foundation and do a lot of good with it,” McMahon said. “I hope people go out and spend more money on these things than they’re worth.”

Following the benefit concert, McMahon will focus on making new music with Jack’s Mannequin. He said that after the emotionally jarring content of the band’s second album, The Glass Passenger, he is looking forward to being able to make a record without the lingering effects of his illness appearing in his writing.

McMahon will also remain passionate as ever about the Dear Jack Foundation.

“People lose to this disease every day, which is why we continue to fight,” McMahon said. “It’s not something you want to see anybody go through once you’ve been there. That’s a huge motivator for me on a daily basis.”