Redshirt lineman takes a shot at basketball

Redshirt freshman backup defensive end James Boyd announced yesterday that he plans to walk on to the USC men’s basketball team, and could be practicing with the team as early as this week.

Boyd, a 6-foot-4 245-pound redshirt freshman, said that he’s just waiting for the green light from football coach Lane Kiffin before practicing with the basketball team, but that he will definitely be spending more time with the basketball team once the Trojans’ season ends Dec. 4 against crosstown rival UCLA.

Boyd attended L.A. Jordan High School and played four different sports, excelling in football and basketball. As a senior, Boyd averaged 23.8 points and 22.4 rebounds per game, enough to get him named to the All-L.A. City team.

The young defensive lineman claims that he would have tried to walk on to the basketball team last year had he not torn cartilage in his left knee, which forced him to redshirt as a freshman last year in the first place.

If Boyd manages to make the Trojan hoop squad this year, he would bring some much-needed strength and depth to USC’s thin front line.

Boyd, who is currently suspended from the football team for academic issues, is ready to take his skills to the hardwood and believes he can be a serious asset to the team.

“I know my role,” he said. “I know what I can do.”