Women’s basketball to face Georgia at home tonight

After a dominating 22-point victory against Long Beach State, the Women of Troy (2-1) now set their sights on playing a much stronger and more physical opponent in the No. 18 Georgia Bulldogs (3-0).  Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Galen Center.

Driving in · Senior guard Jacki Gemelos led the Women of Troy with 14 points against Long Beach State last weekend. USC is currently 2-0. - Tim Tran | Daily Trojan

With the Bulldogs featuring a  high-powered offense similar to  Duke’s — who beat USC by 25 points last Monday in North Carolina — the Women of Troy expect the same type of game, but believe they’ll be ready to play.

“It’s going to be a similar game like Duke was,” said senior guard Jacki Gemelos. “They’re going to have big, physical girls, but we’re going to have to toughen up and [play].”

After a balanced scoring effort against the 49ers, the coaching staff was very pleased with the way the offense performed on Sunday.

“When players get more accustomed to what we’re trying to do, we look at sharing the basketball,” USC coach Michael Cooper said. “When you share the basketball, everyone’s having fun and working hard for one another.”

Though the Women of Troy employed a different starting lineup against the 49ers, the players still managed to make things work both offensively and defensively.

The Bulldogs are coached by Andy Landers, who is in his 32nd season at Georgia.  They are led by sophomore guard Jasmine James (13.7 points per game) and senior forward Porsha Phillips (11.7 ppg, 10.7 rebounds per game).

Besides those two players, there are other contributors in their frontcourt, including sophomore forwards Jasmine Hassell and Tamika Willis.

With such a big frontline, the Bulldogs have managed to outrebound their opponents by 16 rebounds per game this year.

“We match up well with them, but they’re a very good athletic team,” Cooper said.  “We have our work cut for us.”

One area the coaching staff still emphasizes to the Women of Troy is rebounding and tonight won’t be any different.

“No rebounds — no rings,” Cooper said.  “If you want to compete with the elite teams, you’re going to have to [rebound].”

With such a strong non-conference schedule to begin the season, the Women of Troy have already been tested this year.

But with each practice, the team believes it will continue to get better as long as its hard work and effort translates to the game.

“It starts in practice every day,” Gemelos said.  “If we practice like we have been, it should definitely carry into the game.”