Panhellenic elects new president

With the semester coming to an end, the Panhellenic and Interfraternity councils are beginning to transfer to new leadership.

The Panhellenic Council announced Monday night that Ayushi Gummadi, current vice president of scholarship, will be next year’s president. The 12 positions on the Panhellenic executive board were also officially announced Monday night following applications and interviews that occurred over the past week.

“We have a really great board in place and a great foundation upon which we can work,” Gummadi, a junior majoring in business administration, said. “We just need to make sure we are prepared and organized to put the word out about our philanthropies. It’s important to be able to work with not only with the Panhellenic community but the university as a whole.”

Applications for positions on the Panhellenic executive board were due Nov. 19, and interviews were held Nov. 21 and Nov. 22 at  the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority house. The entire executive board, along with Panhellenic delegates, were present for each interview.

“I have full faith that the new board will do a good job in keeping up Row relations,” said Laura Redfern, current president of Panhellenic. “My advice would just be to stay objective, keep an open mind and be nice to each other.”

Each Panhellenic chapter presented a slate with their selections for the positions, and current board members voted on the candidates. Candidates who earned the majority vote were contacted by the member of the board currently holding that position.

Redfern said she is excited for the new board to uphold Greek traditions such as the Greek Gala and golf tournament while fostering relationships between the houses.

“I’d like to see them maybe expand on relationships with the other Greek councils and continue philanthropic events,” Redfern said. “It would also be really good to focus on fun programming for new members too so they can continue to stay friends with people in other houses.”

Beth Saul, assistant dean for Student Affairs and Director for Fraternity and Sorority Leadership Development, said she is looking forward to working with the new board.

“A group of energetic and committed women … will work together to continue the Panhellenic momentum,” Saul said in an e-mail.

Saul said she has high hopes for the upcoming executive board.

“Increase the positive gap between the Panhellenic GPA and the all women’s GPA, provide strong support for high standards in the Panhellenic community, keep the momentum and interest in recruitment and joining, plan events that are classy and enhance the image of USC Greeks and the Panhellenic community specifically,” Saul said.

IFC elections will be held on Wednesday at 7 p.m. at the Kappa Sigma fraternity house. Twenty-one candidates are running for 14 positions on the executive board, said Eric Ronan, current IFC president. Applicants were interviewed and the current executive board put together a slate that will be voted on by all of the fraternity presidents on Wednesday.

Four men are currently running for IFC president, but candidates can still run if not listed on the ballot. Ronan, for example, was not slated for president last year but won the vote of the fraternity presidents and was thus elected to the position.

Ronan said the new board will play a role in bolstering IFC’s relationship with the university.

“I really hope that the new board can continue to strengthen the relationship that our board has built with the university, specifically Student Affairs and the Department of Public Safety,” Ronan said. “It would be great if the next board can advance us philanthropically through hands-on community service events and increase our academic standard.”

As departing IFC President, Ronan had advice for the new president.

“My best advice is for him to really take a step back and talk with all of the presidents of all the houses,” Ronan said. “Try to come up with the best sort of direction and always be in contact with the university.”