Let good food be your finals survival tool

Although some students will sigh with relief that it’s finally the home stretch of the semester; the more pragmatic among us see the gap between Thanksgiving and winter break for what it really is: a desperate struggle to the bitter end, chock-full of all-nighters, term papers and final exams.

The last thing anyone wants to think about is food. But before one succumbs to a diet of Pop-Tarts and Carl’s Jr., consider this: how much more relaxing would it be to come home to a hot, hearty meal before hitting the books or having tasty cold cuts to cram into a fresh sandwich?

The science backs good eats. Too much sugar and refined carbohydrates sap energy and lead to sugar crashes and cravings. Balanced, whole meals improve focus and energy, and you can make them yourself.

Read on for tasty comfort food that will fill you up and warm your bones — and can be prepared in much less time than the Food Network would make you believe.

Roasts and bakes are filling, warming and look far more complicated than they actually are. Because of the volume of meat, you will have tons of leftovers. The roasting pan also serves as a vessel for tasty side dishes.

Remember those Sunday family dinners where Dad sliced into a juicy roast and the potatoes gleamed with butter? Recreate the experience right in your apartment. All you need is a roasting pan — even a one-time use one from Superior will do.

Boneless rump roast is classic, but the leaner sirloin tip and top-round roasts also work. For seasoning, simply rub the roast in garlic or garlic powder, salt, pepper and a little butter or olive oil. Roast at 375 degrees, 20 minutes for each pound of beef. Before sticking the roast in the oven, however, add some vegetables to the pan, such as potatoes, carrots and celery.

Roast chicken can be prepared the exact same way, but remember to take out the gizzards if you purchased a whole chicken. Again roast at 375 degrees, 20 minutes for each pound of meat, but add an additional 10-20 minutes. If you have a roasting rack, now is the time to use it, but if not, no worries.

Even if the time seems considerate, use it as a way to make yourself curl up with your kinesiology book. You will get work done and have a delicious dinner waiting for you as you wrap up glycolysis. Plus, a roast will last one person several days.

If you have a Costco-sized bag of chicken breasts that need to be used up, baked chicken is always a comfort classic that’s as simple as it is tasty. For cream of mushroom chicken, just dump four chicken breasts into a baking dish, add a can of cream of mushroom soup, pepper and some additional mushrooms and onions if you are feeling really frisky. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. This dish was made for a side of rice and sautéed veggies.

In vegetarian cooking, a big bake is just as easy. For some Southwestern comfort, start by cooking three-fourths cup of rice. Combine the rice in a baking dish with these ingredients: one can each of black beans, tomatoes with green chilies, and corn; 1 cup each of salsa and sour cream; and one-fourth teaspoon of pepper.

Top with a small can of black olives and one-half cup of onion, and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. For the final step, sprinkle on 1 cup of your favorite cheese and bake for an additional five to 10 minutes. Let it sit for another 10 minutes before serving.

If you survived your savory baking adventure, you probably have a week’s worth of leftovers. The next day, whip up a sandwich or wrap with cold chicken or beef. To really jazz up your sandwich, add a tasty spread like hummus, pesto, spicy mustard or tomato paste.

Of course, a sandwich calls for bread. If you happen to have a bottle of beer and some self-rising flour you need to get rid of, you can make your own beer bread. Simply combine 3 cups of sifted or spooned-out self-rising flour, 3 tablespoons of sugar and a 12-ounce can of beer.

If you only have regular flour, add 3 teaspoons of baking powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Bake at 375 degrees for one hour, and you’ve just made yourself a baker.

But baking is a science, and some people would rather man the stove. If you want a quick study break, a great use for leftover beef (or even chicken) is hash. Think of hash as a lumberjack’s stir-fry — start by adding a pat of butter or drizzle of oil to a pan on medium-high heat. Then, add some chopped onions, bell peppers if you have them, and potatoes (unless you are using leftover potatoes from your roast beef).

When the onions have started to cook through, add the roast beef (and potatoes if they are leftovers). Cook until warmed through, stirring occasionally, and add salt and pepper to taste. Hash pairs well with toast and ketchup.

If you have a ton of vegetables in your fridge or freezer to use up, opt for a stir-fry instead.

In a large pan, add the hard vegetables first (such as onions and carrots), followed by softer ones such as broccoli or snap peas. Finally, add the leftover chicken or beef. You can also add flavorings like soy sauce. Add any ultra-soft vegetables last, like spinach, and cook until warmed through.

Top with anything you want — just because it’s an Asian-inspired dish doesn’t mean you can’t use up the last of your Thousand Island dressing.

Another great way to use up leftover chicken is in a baked potato. Simply zap a potato in the microwave and while it’s cooking, combine chopped chicken with veggies like broccoli and onions and a handful of cheese in a bowl.

When the potato is done, carefully cut it open and stuff with the remaining ingredients. Sprinkle with some salt, pepper and additional cheese and microwave for another minute, or until the cheese has melted. Add your favorite toppings like sour cream or barbecue sauce and dig in.

Just because it’s finals season doesn’t mean you need to drag your body over coals. When you feel better, you perform better, so never think a comforting meal is more than a refrigerator-raid away.