USG makes alterations for elections

The Undergraduate Student Government passed a measure  Tuesday that will allocate money to presidential, vice-presidential and senatorial candidates. USG also approved a measure that extends the deadline for students to apply to run.

The senate allocated $2,000 to be split among all presidential and vice presidential campaigns, which have a spending limit of $1,500. The money will be divided according to the number of candidates running. Senatorial candidates, who can spend up to $300, have a total of $1,000 allocated, which will also be divided according to the number of candidates.

Candidates can apply for reimbursement and the deadline to submit applications to run for president, vice president or senator was extended from Jan. 21 to Jan. 28.

“One of the main reasons we are having this funding is because we realize that some candidates don’t run for positions because they don’t have the money to run a campaign, said USG Co-Director of Elections and  Recruitment Juan Orjuela.

Orjuela said candidates will submit a campaign finance plan to USG, and once it is approved, USG will divide the money based on the number of candidates for each position.

Orjuela said they hope to have 24 senators running for the 12 positions and three or four presidential and vice presidential candidates .

All applications, available online, are due in the USG room by 5 p.m. Jan. 28.