Henry Cavill donning tights once again, this time as Superman

According to the Los Angeles Times’ Hero Complex blog, director Zack Snyder of 300, has tapped TV actor Henry Cavill to play Clark Kent in the upcoming Superman reboot.

Henry Cavill is slated to play the next Clark Kent in the upcoming Superman: Man of Steel. | Creative Commons

Cavill is no stranger to tights – he is most recognized as King Henry’s handsome right hand man Charles Brandon in the Showtime period drama The Tudors. The British-born actor will play America’s ultimate superhero after reportedly auditioning for both reboots of James Bond and Batman and losing the roles to Daniel Craig and Christian Bale, according to Hollywood industry blog Deadline Hollywood.

Though the franchise’s last entry into theaters was a mere five years ago and opened to tepid box office success, Warner Brothers has announced a full investment into this new film, which will be written by David S. Goyer, who wrote Batman Begins and will have Inception’s power producers, Christopher Nolan and Emma Thompson.

Cavill will join the likes of Christopher Reeve, Dean Cain, Tom Welling and Brandon Routh in the pantheon of actors that have played Kal-El. No announcements have been made as to the potential villains this Man of Steel will face.

Superman: Man of Steel is slated for release in December 2012.