National Signing Day: Heyward signs with USC

USC nabbed an important recruit this morning in four-star defensive tackle Christian Heyward.

Heyward, who is ranked as the sixth best defensive tackle in the country by Yahoo! Sports’ Rivals.com, chose the Trojans over Oregon and San Diego State.

Heyward said that former San Diego State coach Brady Hoke’s decision to go to Michigan influenced his choice to come to USC.

“It was the best decision for me in the end,” Heyward said as he announced his decision on live TV this morning.

The 6-foot-2, 275-pound tackle starred at tight-end at Point Loma high school in San Diego, but USC linebackers coach Joe Barry, who primarily recruited Heyward, said his athleticism really stands out on the basketball court.

“He is a 275-pound cat” Barry told USCTrojans.com. “He is quick on his feet, very agile. You can tell a lot about a kid when he is on the basketball court. Just to see a 275-pound athlete move up and down the court, move laterally, side-to-side, bend his knees, catch the ball, go to the hole, that was really impressive. Pass rush is no different than one-on-one basketball.”

It’s another top 100 signing for coach Lane Kiffin, as Heyward is ranked the 80th best prospect nationally by Scout and 94th by Rivals.