Lakers broadcaster has harsh words for son after marijuana arrest

Washington State junior and Pac-10 scoring leader Klay Thompson is in hot water with his coaches after being charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana on Thursday, but there’s someone else who’s upset with him: his dad, Lakers broadcaster Mychal Thompson.

Mychal Thompson spoke openly about the incident on a Friday morning AM 710 ESPN sports-radio show, calling the news “a punch to the gut — or even lower.”

“I thought he was better than that,” Mychal Thompson told the audience. “I want to hug my son and I want to punch his lights out. Or do both. I’m just so mad. Maybe he’s too old to be spanked, just turning 21 a month ago, but I sure do feel like spanking him.”

Pullman, Wash., police pulled the younger Thompson’s GMC Envoy over near Washington State’s campus at 11 p.m. for a broken headlight on Thursday, hours after he put up 22 points in Washington State’s 85-77 victory over USC. A police spokesman told ESPN that officers smelled marijuana, and though Klay Thompson denied having any, 1.95 grams were found in the vehicle. Klay Thompson was then cited with the misdemeanor charge of marijuana possession.

He was suspended for Saturday’s regular-season finale against UCLA — which the Cougars lost in overtime, 58-54 — a game many considered to be crucial for the on-the-bubble Washington State team’s postseason hopes.

“He let down the whole school, his coach, his teammates, the students,” his father said on Friday. “He didn’t have the maturity and responsible behavior to know what this game means to Washington State.”

Before Friday’s game, Klay Thompson apologized to the crowd gathered at Friel Court. Washington State coach Ken Bone told The Daily Evergreen that the action was the player’s idea.

“It’s something that he wanted to do,” Bone said. “I, and we as a team, are proud of the fact that he said what he said to the crowd. I think it came from the heart.”
Klay Thompson’s status for the remainder of the season has yet to be determined, Bone added, though Mychal Thompson said it would be “deserving” if his son missed the rest of the season, which might be the NBA prospect’s final one at the collegiate level.

“He’ll have to walk around campus now with a scarlet ‘N’ on his forehead,” Mychal Thompson said. “It’s a huge mistake.”

In January, Washington State guard Reggie Moore point guard was suspended for a game after marijuana was found in his dorm room.