Classics that are making a comeback

Classic movie buffs, it is time to get your popcorn out because your wildest black-and-white colored dreams are coming true.  No, James Dean and Marilyn Monroe have not come back from the dead, but rumor has it that three classic movies are in the remake process (well technically  two remakes and one prequel).

Oz, the Great and Powerful: Before Dorothy and Toto mistakenly discovered the Land of Oz in the iconic The Wizard of Oz, there were Mila Kunis and James Franco ruling the Emerald City. Kunis recently signed on to play one of the three witches along with Franco, a fast-talking snake oil salesman and illusionist, in Disney’s prequel to the 1939 film.

According to Variety, Kunis will play Theodora, “a good witch, alongside her beautiful sister Glinda, but after her sexual advances are jilted by Franco’s salesman, she’s convinced by Evanora to switch sides and help her older sister rule Oz.”

Three Stooges:  The slapstick comedic trio was originally set up with MGM but the Farrelly brothers’ (Bobby Farrelly and Peter Farrelly) film has since changed to 20th Century Fox.  Will Sasso ($#*! My Dad Says) was officially cast to play the first of the three stooges, Curly Howard.  While the movie is not a biography of the original three brothers, according to The Hollywood Reporter it will be “divided into three vignettes telling an overall story.”

Any suggestions for who should play Moe or Shemp?

The Thin Man:  Although the comedic mystery had five sequels, so far for Warner Bros. there is only one. Jerry Stahl (Permanent Midnight) will be writing the screenplay and Johnny Depp will star.

Johnny Depp seems to be the perfect fit for Nick Charles, a witty and brilliant drunk, who is persuaded to return to his private detective days by his beautiful and rich wife Nora and their schnauzer Asta.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the studio hopes to give the film a “contemporary attitude but retain the period setting.”

Will these films be able to live up to their predecessors?   Or are the classics untouchable?