Essentials to take along on the Coachella journey

Thursday night. You’ve pulled the tent out of mothballs, tackled those term papers a week early and assembled a playlist that includes Lauryn Hill, Sven Väth and that song about Barbara Streisand.

“I’m ready,” you think.

Ready to hit the highway, slather on the sunscreen and lose your best pair of wayfarers at this year’s Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival.

Not so fast. Preparing for a kick in the head from Alice Glass is one matter, but adequately stocking up for the elemental experience of America’s most legendary music festival is nothing to be taken lightly. Whether you’re renting a house or attempting a night’s sleep in the bustling campgrounds, poor planning and few provisions can make for a miserable experience under the boiling Indio sun.

To avoid heatstroke, disco dehydration and other maladies, set an hour aside and hit the nearest Ralph’s for these Coachella essentials.

Sunblock

If you’ve got one tube already, invest in another. Not only will you avoid the festival general store’s appalling prices, but you’ll have your choice of sun protection factor levels. At Coachella, anything below 30 SPF is borderline negligible. Even if you tan like an Oxford shoe, too much UV exposure in the desert will make squeezing toward the barrier for Broken Social Scene a needlessly painful experience.

Clif Bars

Sure, Coachella offers food of a higher grade than most festivals, but those gourmet pizza slices and sukiyaki bowls add up faster than a Hong Kong hedge fund. Clif Bars make for a tasty, cheap, sustaining snack and are ideal for the hours before the festival gates open each day. Many supermarkets offer them for less than $2 apiece, so grab a bushel before you go.

Bottled Water Packs
If you’re camping, extra bottled water is a must. Bring at least two cases. Not only will you achieve proper hydration before the day’s first acts, but having a surplus of water will allow you an alternative means of cleansing if 2010’s ridiculous three-hour shower waits repeat themselves. Not only is Indio hot, it’s dusty. And after a night of dancing to The Chemical Brothers, you’ll want a bath.
Moist Wipes
Perhaps the greatest simple supply for Coachella, a cache of moist wipes will prove invaluable when someone decides to share their beer with your backside during Titus Andronicus. And even if you make it through the day unscathed, wouldn’t you rather crawl into your sleeping bag smelling like rubbing alcohol and wildflowers than dirt and flat Heineken?
Solid Shoes
Flip flops simply won’t cut it. Between being stepped on and standing for hours in front of a stage, our feet endure the worst pains at Coachella. Forgo indie fashion and wear shoes that are comfortable and protective, with proper arch support. If your heart is set on flat-soled models like Converse hi-tops, buy a pair of gel inserts ($10) from CVS or RiteAid. Your lumbar spine will thank you later.
Toilet Paper
Another necessity for those in the campgrounds. After 24 hours of moshing, gyrating and burrito consumption, many attendees tend to treat the festival bathrooms the way Banksy might treat a bare wall. With your own TP on hand, you’ll not only ensure a clean seat, but enough parchment to finish the job when the campground supplies run out. (Trust me, they will.)
Non-Drowsy Claritin
What do you get when 70,000 people converge on a polo field primarily used for horse farming? A dust allergist’s worst nightmare. Packing your own non-drowsy Claritin is always a good idea, since someone in your party might find themselves teary-eyed and wheezing from the dry air. At the very least, it will allow them to enjoy the sight of Duran Duran’s youthful manes more clearly.
Batteries
Sometime during the week, your camera will undoubtedly be left on and forgotten, the power supply draining slowly. When Kanye brings out Daft Punk to perform “Stronger,” make sure you’re prepared to share the memory with friends. Whatever your camera runs on, bring extra.