Venue confirmed for USC-Kansas basketball game

The University of Kansas men’s basketball team released its 2011 non-conference schedule, and USC fans will want to make sure they circle Dec. 22 on their calendars.

USC will play the perennial powerhouse on that date — the fourth time the teams face each other since 2006. The home game for the Trojans will be played at the Galen Center.

After last year’s game in Lawrence, Kansas, it seemed logical that this year’s would be in Los Angeles, but that apparently was not always the plan.

Kansa coach Bill Self said on March 29 USC had requested to change the venue from Los Angeles to the Intrust Arena in Wichita, Kansas. This would have been a definitive sellout and would have almost certainly been dominated by Jayhawk fans. All the gate proceeds, however, would have gone to USC.

The two teams signed a home-and-home agreement last year. Since Kansas was the home team in last year’s game, USC would have been considered the home team in this year’s match-up regardless of the venue.

Last December, the Trojans and Jayhawks faced off at Allen Fieldhouse. Despite being on the road and Kansas being heavily favored, USC nearly pulled off the upset, eventually losing 70-68.

Kansas has the edge overall against USC, boasting a 9-5 record in the all-time series.