Lil B sparks controversy with new album

Lil B, former rapper of The Pack, known for hits such as “Booty Bounce Bopper” and “In My Car,” has created quite a stir in the music world and gay community alike.

He announced last week at the Coachella Music Festival that his latest album will be entitled I’m Gay, and while this act may come across as a cry for attention, given the fact that homosexuality is such a hot topic issue, Lil B claims that this is nothing more than an attempt to redefine the word, to bring “gay” back to its original connotation of happy.

He explains by telling MTV News “I’m very gay, but I love women.  I’m not attracted to men in any way. I’ve never been attracted to a man in my life. But yes I am gay, I’m so happy. I’m a gay, heterosexual male.”

Despite the fact that Lil B is not gay himself, but is instead solely a gay advocate, he has received death threats for his support of the homosexual community. One threat stated, “I’m gonna bash your head in,’ ‘you f****t,’ ‘I’m gonna kill you.’”

Who would have thought that one simple album title could inspire so much hatred?

While he is only one artist, Lil B feels like he can make some sort of influence for the gay community, stating “One-hundred years later, people gonna thank me, because people are going to be free. And that’s the main thing. Even if it’s 1 percent of the people that listen to me and are gonna be free, that’s better than none.  That’s better than not speaking up at all … and I spoke up and I did it.”

Whether it’s a publicity stunt or a call for social change, Lil B is at least opening the connotations of the word ‘gay’ in the media for discussion.