Study abroad fair is valuable resource

Many students begin their years as college careers with only vague ideas of how they wish to spend their time. At a large school such as USC, the on-campus opportunities are seemingly endless; however, it is difficult to refute the benefits of studying abroad. This upcoming week, the Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences plans to hold its annual study abroad fair Sept. 7.

Though many students who choose to study abroad do so their junior year, numerous foreign programs at USC accept younger students. With 50 different programs in 28 countries — and more opportunities being added each year — students are sure to find something to suit their academic and personal requirements.

Some programs are major-specific, such as the Fine Arts program in Cortona, Italy, while others have GPA and language requirements, like the exclusive Sciences Po Paris program, but most accept a wide variety of applicants.

During the Study Abroad Week, students can pick up information on various programs, talk to other students who participated in overseas study and discuss academic options with advisors and professors. In addition, they can learn more about other study abroad programs, such as summer sessions and Problems Without Passports.

To provide students with optimum flexibility in regards to the fair, the Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences is sponsoring a number of events during the week. Dornsife will hold a brief luncheon September 6; a general fair on Trousdale on September 7; a more detailed series of information sessions, based on country, on September 8; and two walk-in days September 9 and 10. Locations of each day’s activities are listed on the website.