Former Trojan to return as volunteer assistant

USC baseball coach Frank Cruz announced that former USC and major-league baseball player Jason Brown has been named a volunteer assistant coach for the Trojans.

Brown, who played for USC from 1994 to 1997, will join associate coach Dan Hubbs and assistant coach Gabe Alvarez, both Trojan alumni, for the 2011-2012 season. Hubbs is also a first-year coach for USC, and the upcoming season will be Alvarez’s second on the Trojan staff.

“[Brown] has always been a huge supporter of USC baseball going back to his playing days and he has a relentless work ethic that we envision rubbing off on our players,” Cruz said. “Jason is going to be an asset for us in teaching and coaching all aspects of the game.”

Brown’s credentials range from All-Pac-10 honorable mentions in 1997 to an impressive career with the Los Angeles Dodgers, as well as playing for farm teams for the Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, Pittsburgh Pirates, Montreal Expos and New York Yankees. He played 11 seasons in the majors and minors.

Brown was an accomplished catcher, first baseman, designated hitter and outfielder while at USC, and was a part of the Trojan team that advanced to the College World Series in 1995. It was USC’s first appearance since 1978.

This upcoming season will be Brown’s third as a coach. He began coaching in 2009 at his alma mater, Palos Verdes High School. After one year with Palos Verdes, Brown worked as an assistant coach of the Orleans Firebirds of the Cape Cod League.